SMART Recovery for Veterans & First Responders
To learn more about how SMART Recovery can support veterans, please contact [email protected] or send us a message using the form below.
Supporting those who currently serve or have served our country in a military and/or emergency services capacity.
Research documents that an alarming number of veterans returning from military deployment and combat suffer from addiction. The traumatic experiences encountered on the battlefield can overwhelm coping skills and cause mental health conditions. Many veterans will self-medicate with alcohol and substances or engage in risky behaviors that can compound problems.
Similarly, those who serve in emergency service roles e.g., EMT, Fire, Police, Search & Rescue etc. (“First Responders”) encounter high pressure and experience traumatic events that can overwhelm and lead to negative activities and substance use disorders.
Effects on Families
Families of veterans and First Responders are at risk as well. These experiences are often not directly shared with loved ones and can create excessive strain, and the homecoming (either from a great distance or nearby) of their loved one may bring powerful anxieties for everyone involved. Their beloved family member may have post-traumatic stress disorder and brain injuries. Unhealthy coping behaviors and lack of healthy support can set off a downward spiral for all involved.
Find a Veterans and First Responders Meeting
There is hope and practical, easy to apply tools. Veterans and First Responders who have begun to address their challenges are uniquely qualified to relate to those who have similar experiences.
In partnership with Veteran’s Administration (VA) hospitals and mental health professionals across the country, SMART meetings offer veterans and First Responders the help they need in a safe and supportive environment.
- Find Us at Online Meetings & Events:
- Sunday from 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. ET
- Tuesday from 7:00-8:30 p.m. ET
- Wednesday from 7:30-9:00 p.m. ET (Women’s Only)
- Thursday from 9:00-10:00 p.m. ET (Tool Time)
- Friday from 8:30 – 10:00 p.m. ET
- Meetings are free and password protected; registration is required
- Find Us in Your Community: To find meetings at your local VA, we encourage you to call your VA to request details. Or, if meetings are not yet held in your local VA, you can request SMART Recovery meetings to be added as a resource for you and your peers. Use this website to search for face-to-face meetings available near you.
- Find Us in the UK: https://smartrecovery.org.uk/smart_veterans/
Let’s Support More Veterans and First Responders Together
We would love to help you start SMART Recovery meetings in your facility and or community. VA staff and mental health professionals are invited to join our training program and start SMART Recovery meetings. Training can be completed online or in-person. Fill out the form on this page to request more information on SMART Recovery for Veterans and First Responders.
Latest Videos: Veterans
Recent Podcasts: Veterans
Latest Blogs: Veterans