Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default Really Happy About These Successes...

15 years no opiates, 6 years no drugs of any kind, and 4 months no alcohol

I recently quit alcohol after noticing it was difficult to stick to the Canadian responsible drinking guidelines, and occasionally I would self-medicate bad moods and double or triple my limit of 2 glasses. I used the Sinclair Method and took Naltrexone before drinking anything for 6 months. It took away the physical pleasure and my desire to add another glass of wine to the one I just had. Quitting, therefore, was much easier because the payoff was not there anymore. Why bother?

Three recent successes I am proud of:

Dinner last week at a wonderful Italian restaurant, where they had almost no choice for nonalcoholic beverages except for sugared soda and tea. I was initially irritated but it passed quickly after I ordered my tea. I had a wonderful meal of Veal Alla Limone (lemon), zucchini parmesan, and ravioli with gorgonzola cream sauce. I did not miss the wine and spent an evening in great company.

Dinner last night was a big bowl of homemade popcorn with butter, and apple cinnamon kombucha that I brewed. Popcorn is my classic bad mood meal when I don't want to cook. Ten years ago, before my first attendance at rehab, it would be bagged junk food cheese popcorn that I would chase down with two or three litres of beer or a bottle and a half of wine. Progress! Homemade kombucha is my favorite go to non-alcoholic beverage.

Last September I had terrible pneumonia that took 6 weeks to clear up. I was not sleeping at all due to a terrible hacking cough. My doctor prescribed cough syrup with opiates then tablets with codeine. I was quite worried as this was my former drug of choice. I reasoned that three years ago I had a similar prescription for bronchitis and used it according to directions. This time I did the same, and was surprised that the prescription relieved my cough without any of the rush I used to get.

I was surprised that the biggest side effect was feelings of sadness triggered by memories of being dope sick. I did not finish the tablets and took the remainder to the pharmacy to be disposed of. I am now confident that I will never misuse opiates again.

I have used the Smart Recovery tools consistently in the past 4 years, attending the occasional online meeting and using the Chat Room as needed. The support has been so helpful to me and I am grateful. Thank-you!

Gordon1 is offline SMART Online Facilitator
    Former SMART Face to Face Facilitator
    Former SMART Online Meeting Liaison

Wonderful efforts Amelialinea!!

Go you!
    What got me sober was trying to get sober. Every time I lapsed, picked up, drank, I was thoroughly beaten. I thought at those times "there is no hope for me" Yet, when I had recovered from those thoughts just a little, I thought "have another go!" It was a lot of little sparks, rather than a flame, that got me here.

Congratulations

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!