Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default Following My Change Plan at Six Months Sober!

Last night my head was flooded with negative self-talk and the salesman was really getting to me. But I didn't drink, and I didn't even wallow in my own self-pity. Instead, I reviewed all the SMART activities I have done up until now, at six months sober.

Here's what I found:
    • Back when I did my first DIBs worksheet, I correctly identified some of the core lies I've been believing. Reviewing that worksheet, and re-reading the disputations I wrote at only one month sober helped me to get through some of the very same thoughts I was struggling with last night. The success here is that I dug into the tools, and am continuing to reap the success.
    • I am actively working on my "Change Plan." When I filled out the "change plan worksheet," I thought I was setting myself up for failure. I thought there was no way I was going to make those changes that I listed, and no way I was going to follow through on this plan. While I am not succeeding "perfectly," the changes are actually happening, and I am following the plan and making progress.
    • I am not only six months sober, but I am also committed to sobriety and usually enthusiastic about it. Even when I don't "feel" excited about sobriety, using the tools always leads me back to wanting sobriety.

I began my time last night really believing my irrational beliefs. When I reviewed the tools, and saw the goals I had set for myself, I realized that so many changes I thought were impossible six months ago are already happening in my life. Do I consider myself "recovered?" No. But I am so grateful that I dug in and worked the tools and am reaping the benefits in my life.

I never thought I would be able to abstain for six months, but the abstinence itself isn't the success I'm celebrating. I'm celebrating the real changes that have happened in my thinking and in my life. I am living like the person who really values the things I listed in my HOV. I don't always succeed, but that's OK. And developing that belief is a success in itself.
    Every warrior has her kryptonite. Alcohol is mine.

Excellent.... nothing to add, you said it. More will be revealed.

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!