Thread: THREE years!

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default THREE years!

I needed dancing elephants for that! One for each year!

Tomorrow I celebrate three years of sobriety!

I can tell you all that it only gets better and easier as time goes on. My roughest period was between six months and about a year and a half, and it's been smooth sailing since then. I almost never think about drinking and can't even tell you the last time I had an actual urge to drink. I have learned better coping skills, and while I still get frustrated, I am much better at self soothing and talking myself off ledges than I used to be. I like being clear headed and able to make decisions with all my faculties intact. I am a much better and more involved and patient mother. One of the ironies in my life is that my youngest child (who was adopted) has FASD. Being reminded daily of the damage that alcohol does makes it that much easier not to drink.

I moved to California a year ago and now have my dream job and am incredibly happy living here, and my boys also love it and are doing really well.

Sober life is good. My signature line is true - it's not always easy, but is IS worth it. And it gets easier. Stay with it.

Thank you to everyone here at SMART who has supported me over the many years I've been here.

Much love to you all, and keep fighting the good fight.

Mel =)
    I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.

Congratulations mellie! Wonderful work! I think your story illustrates how Smart tools became "life" tools, not just recovery tools, for you. I feel the same way, at 6 years. Yup, freedom from alcohol equals a better life on so many levels!

Warm wishes,
    Gentoo
    <( *)
    It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry. ~ Joe Moore

Congrats on three years well done

Big congrats Mellie! You really have created a good life for yourself and like what you said about talking yourself off ledges. Well done.
    q7
    "The central human drama is not wanting the experience we are having"

Three Years!!!!! Well done and congrats
    Peg

Default Great work!

It is good to hear about your journey! Much needed inspiration. Sober life really is so much better in every way.

Enjoy life and stick with it.

Thank you all - it's great to be in a good place!

Mel =)
    I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.

df2 is offline SMART Message Board Co-Liaison
    Former SMART Meeting Helper
    SMART Message Board Volunteer

Congratulations Melliemoo, so glad for you!
    "The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time". Thomas A. Edison
    It's easy to support SMART, just click here!

Sorry I missed this the other day. Congrats on 3 years! Great to hear!

Congratulations on three years! You're an inspiration to many!

LMR555 is offline SMART MB Co-Liaison
    SMART Online Facilitator
    SMART Message Board Volunteer
    SMART Online Leadership Team

and one more for the heck of it!

Mellie!! Congratulation on 3 ++ years now. You are an inspiration to many here and I am sure in your 3D community.

Thank you for sharing and reminding us to take a moment and give ourselves some congrats for any successes we have had.

Best to your 4 year.
    "Discover the Power of Choice!"

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. Chinese Proverb

Join the team as a SMART Message Board Volunteer!! It can encourage growth and joy. Or support with a donation http://bit.ly/passthehat

Congrats on your anniversary! And thank you for giving me a glimpse of the future. With folks like you around, how can I possibly fail??

Be well.
    Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in her

Nicely done!

p.s. more dancing elephants
    Wherever you go, there you are

Awww, thanks for the dancing elephants and all the love! I look forward to coming back in a year to write my 4 years post!

Looking forward to those 4 elephants, and though we don't know each other, happy to hear of all those positive changes in your life, what you've learned about yourself, and glad you got into your dream job and that your sons are doing well! Did I get it all :P congrats!

Congratulations! You are an inspiration.

Keep up the good work

Congratulations!

Your post is encouraging.

Gordon1 is offline SMART Online Facilitator
    Former SMART Face to Face Facilitator
    Former SMART Online Meeting Liaison

Wonderful <3
    What got me sober was trying to get sober. Every time I lapsed, picked up, drank, I was thoroughly beaten. I thought at those times "there is no hope for me" Yet, when I had recovered from those thoughts just a little, I thought "have another go!" It was a lot of little sparks, rather than a flame, that got me here.

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!