Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default Skipped the bottle of wine today

I signed up for Smart on Sunday which was my first day without drinking. Signing up and reading stories helped me through the first day. Just got my Smart book today.

Today my husband and I got into a big fight which usually sends me to dairy mart for at least one bottle of wine. I was so mad I decided to get on the treadmill and skip the wine. Really made me feel good about myself. Knowing I am not alone, that others struggle too has helped me. Still mindlessly went through quite a few pretzels but I am OK with that for now.

Yay for you! :-) I joined yesterday and skipped a bottle of wine last night. Feeling good and optimistic for today. Yay for us!

Way to go both of you. I love Smart and the community here. I have been sober from my wine addiction for 18 days now and am loving my new sober life.It's a great place to begin your journey. Look forward to hearing more from you. Good luck

Day 4 for me - why is wine seemingly it's own addiction?

Anyway - feeling good!

I'm just starting--new to SR. I agree that wine is its own addiction. I love wine and am wondering how I am not ever going to drink it again!

Hi AnnS. Wine was my best friend until it became my enemy. I planned my life around when I could have my wine and thought obsessively about it. I became e isolated and spent money that I would have otherwise spent on things that really would make me happy. I've got 3 weeks sober now and feel good. I know I can't moderate my drinking and trying to switch to other alcoholic beverages only lead me back to wine. It's hard to think of Never having wine again but in time it gets easier. Smart is a wonderful place to begin and the support and encouragement here is incredible. Good luck to you on your journey to a sober and fulfilling life.

AnnS - yeah, it makes me sad, but what's even sadder is that I really have no problem stopping drinking...but I want it every single day and like JAlexis said, I kind of planned my day around when I could have it (including sneaking it into kids sporting events in a coffee tumbler ) AND it made me feel like complete CRAP the next day, even with 2-3 glasses.

Anyway - I want to free myself from the addiction. I have rum, vodka and tequila in the house right now but I don't even care about that. Weird.

Me too! Life without wine seems like it might be pretty dull...😟

LMR555 is online now SMART MB Co-Liaison
    Former SMART Online Facilitator
    SMART Message Board Volunteer
    SMART Online Leadership Team

Quote Originally Posted by Snowier View Post
    Me too! Life without wine seems like it might be pretty dull...
    You may be very amazed at how much more there is to life when the wine goggles are removed.
    I know I have so much more time, money, energy, and I am always available to emergencies. Drinking that was questionable sometimes.

LMR
    "Discover the Power of Choice!"

“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” – Chinese Proverb

Join the team as a SMART Message Board Volunteer!! It can encourage growth and joy. Or support with a donation http://bit.ly/passthehat

First time to post here. Can't believe how I am not the only one who is wearing wine goggles. Need your support to help me remove them for good.

Good luck to all!

Quote Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
    First time to post here. Can't believe how I am not the only one who is wearing wine goggles. Need your support to help me remove them for good.
    I recently removed my beer goggles and I must say, the world looks pretty different without them.

I found my preferred goggles were bourbon flavored, but my drinking habit is so bad that just about anything would do. I left being active in my recovery and that was not a wise choice, but I am back again and grateful to all the support here from people who understand exactly what the struggle is like. Congrats to all of us for taking the steps to make those wise and healthy choices. Keep it up! And thanks for all the support.

Each day without wine is a victory. Congratulations!

Wow, I had no idea there were so many people who liked wine as much as I did, just wine and ice, enough to make my Dr say stopping was a good idea. 18 days and I feel so much better, shouldn't have taken a friends death from liver damage and Dr. To guide me, but that's what it took.

I am still amazed MkLove how other people's wine obsession sounds so familiar! Day 60 today but yeah, sometimes the urges for a nice cold chardonnay...well, anyway, So thankful for Smart. I'm sorry about your friend passing away. I'm glad you're here

Default Trying again

Trying again
    second attempt.
    day one

Oh man I was wearing "alcohol goggles" but especially beer, whiskey, bourbon. I still find myself looking through them sometimes, but it's so much easier now with SMART tools!
    Every warrior has her kryptonite. Alcohol is mine.

Day one: I am still struggling with the idea of "never again."

Hi Jen
    I struggled with that too.Never again is a long time and to me was very overwhelming.
    I decided to not look so far ahead. Focus on today.I won't drink today.When I started doing this
    i relaxed,my days started adding up to weeks and months and now coming up on 3 years.
    Now never again isn't even an issue,I just don't drink.
    All my best to you.
    Peg

LMR555 is online now SMART MB Co-Liaison
    Former SMART Online Facilitator
    SMART Message Board Volunteer
    SMART Online Leadership Team

Quote Originally Posted by Madeleine View Post
    Trying again
    second attempt.
    day one
    Try Try Try Try Try Try Try Try Try Try Try Try Try Try Try Try Try Try SUCCEED!!
    "Discover the Power of Choice!"

“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” – Chinese Proverb

Join the team as a SMART Message Board Volunteer!! It can encourage growth and joy. Or support with a donation http://bit.ly/passthehat

Sweetbitter, I hope you are still going strong! I just re read by day 16 post, I'm at 46 now! Still miss my friend but thank her memory every day for keeping me going, sober and thankful. My liver is responding to sobriety by functioning better, tests coming back so much improved!

Day 33 without the fruit of the vine. Wine used to scream at me every day, "haha you can't live without me!", and I've been screaming back, "Just watch me!". Already wine is starting to doubt itself, and I'm believing in myself more and more every day. Just watch me indeed!

Post good 4 you keep at it, it inspires us all to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Granny19 View Post
    Day 33 without the fruit of the vine. Wine used to scream at me every day, "haha you can't live without me!", and I've been screaming back, "Just watch me!". Already wine is starting to doubt itself, and I'm believing in myself more and more every day. Just watch me indeed!
    i also need to apply myself to recovery

I've stopped drinking wine (or anything else alcoholic) for over a month, but here's my problem: I'm doing OK with not making a trip to a liquor store or a 7-11 just to purchase wine. However, I have to go to the market, and while I'm buying food it's just so tempting to walk a couple of aisles over and grab a bottle of wine. I can tell myself not to do that, but the "urge" recurs whenever I'm alone (as opposed to shopping with my wife or going out to dinner with a group, for example) and wine is readily available. I think the urge is becoming less strong, but I worry about relapsing when the "opportunity"is right in front of me.

Hey Saltstrong,
    I too have been to the grocery store and the temptation is there as well-I walk to the beer aisle and reminisce about the bad times hangovers, blackouts etc. and remind myself that it's not the way to enjoy life beautiful family, grandchildren, energy so many other good things. Think about those good things I'll bet there are-it's been 15 days for me but I can always depend on the Smarties here for encouragement.

I skipped my six-eight beer a day routine. First time in a while. But it has happened before. I hope to do it sustainable this time.

Me too. Good luck.

Hi jenhoff,

I have quiit drinking alcohol many times over the past 5 years, always saying "I'm quitting for a while, for one week, for a year, for one month." Not on a single one of those quits did I ever say "never again. I'm quitting for good." Saying that was way too scary for me.

Today I have 44 days and I am having no cravings. I think it's different this time because I have decided to quit for good. I said it out loud to myself and to a few other people who know me well. I had just had enough of the hangovers and not getting much done in my life. There were many more downsides than upsides for me.

I now believe a firm commitment to quit for good may be one of the most important things.

What do you think about this?

I wish you health, happiness and success!

I too skipped the bottle of wine today. Iv'e made up my mind that I WILL stick with it from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    Hi jenhoff,

I have quiit drinking alcohol many times over the past 5 years, always saying "I'm quitting for a while, for one week, for a year, for one month." Not on a single one of those quits did I ever say "never again. I'm quitting for good." Saying that was way too scary for me.

Today I have 44 days and I am having no cravings. I think it's different this time because I have decided to quit for good. I said it out loud to myself and to a few other people who know me well. I had just had enough of the hangovers and not getting much done in my life. There were many more downsides than upsides for me.

I now believe a firm commitment to quit for good may be one of the most important things.

What do you think about this?

I wish you health, happiness and success!

Thank you. I have been in the 5 year situation and will join in saying I am quitting for good. T

Day 1 for me.

Default Trying to Skip the Bottle of Wine

Quote Originally Posted by 1Free1 View Post
    I signed up for Smart on Sunday which was my first day without drinking. Signing up and reading stories helped me through the first day. Just got my Smart book today.

Today my husband and I got into a big fight which usually sends me to dairy mart for at least one bottle of wine. I was so mad I decided to get on the treadmill and skip the wine. Really made me feel good about myself. Knowing I am not alone, that others struggle too has helped me. Still mindlessly went through quite a few pretzels but I am OK with that for now.

I am very tired of needing wine to stop the feelings of anxiety. I have been married to an active alcohoic for 20+ years who now looks at me like some kind of loser. Really, I have developed so much anxiety that wine (at the moment) feels like the ONLY thing that will turn off the anxiety in my brain related to all issues

Day 96 today, hope all of you re doing well. Don't miss wine at all, know how it would taste but don't want it.heading into Thanksgiving I know will be a little (maybe a lot) wistful over the really delicious red wines my family will pour. I'll do just fine I know......

Hi Ann.... I know!!! I have the same feeling about wine..... I live in wine country.... with the beauty of the vineyards around me and the delicious wines.....but, you know unfortunately for me the first glass of wine is romantic and delicious.... after that it loses its specialness.... and then comes the "I will have another glass" --- seriously, this is when reality strikes in... it is no longer romantic nor delicious.... I just put it out of my thoughts..... I close my eyes as I drive by wine bars and sometimes I wonder how these people can drink wine at 12 noon and go on all day...... not a pretty picture...

Hi MkLove..... 96 days... actually 97!! I just decided to put post its around the house so I can visualize each day's success!! I know the feeling about the wines at Thanksgiving..... but really after the first glass.... it is not such a wonderful thing..... I am going to sip tonic and lime...... how about you?

Hi jenhoff.... me too ... I have decided to quit for good. Even when I am low and lonely....... those are the hard times and those are the times to take care of yourself.... take a shower or a bath, go out for a walk, get a massage....... cook..... but don't start to have a drink.... the good sides of sobriety far outweigh the negative sides. Plus, I think life is more interesting being "straight"

wow.... your husband looks at you like you are a loser????? As far as the anxiety goes.... have you ever checked into a program called Mindful Based Stress Reduction ( MBSR)? These are programs offered at hospitals around the country that help people reduce their stress etc................. wine isn't stopping the anxiety..... it is hiding it from you. Being sober is much more of a calming agent in the brain, seriously.... the wine is depressing and hiding your true feelings.................. what do you think?

Wine keeps coming up a lot with folks especially women. Wine is a woman's drink and it's advertised to us as elegant, acceptable for us to drink, and something we deserve after a long day. Until it isn't anymore. Until we drink way too much of it, wake up feeling like crap and embarrassed that we were far from elegant. I think for me, I'm still in love with the "idea" of wine. I want to be one of those people who can sip a glass at noon and enjoy their day. The fact is, whose to say those people stop at noon. Drinking, especially as a female is a totally secretively thing once it gets out of control.
    The anxiety is masked by the wine. It's also hard to live with an active alcoholic, I did for 9 years and my anxiety was through the roof. Just keep writing it all out here. It's a good anxiety brain drain. You are doing great...baby steps. You'll get there!

Hi Redwood and all. Yes, wine does have an air of elegance, the nice glasses, tastings, etc. um.....I didn't trust myself with those fancy glasses and was drinking out of a sturdy tumbler with ice, not so elegant. And I was starting at 5 every day and passing out much later I the night. Elegant......NOT! Arts, I agree that writing it out is super helpful.

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!