Thread: 6 Months Sober

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default 6 Months Sober

Hi All,

I just wanted to give an update. I just hit my 6 month mark on May 10th and I am feeling awesome. I was sober with some slips for 4.5 years prior to my final moderation test trial a year ago. I know this was my last test trial for moderation because I tried it for 6 months and I really tried hard to do this, but it was extremely challenging. I was training for a triathlon and marathon during this time period of "moderation". I thought I could be like the other "healthy" athletes in my group who seemed to have control. I figured I could keep on exercising and just drink 1-3 drinks tops on occasion. I was successful a few times, but as time went on I kept returning to previous drinking habits and then I started craving drugs again. I started smoking pot again on occasion. Suddenly before I knew it, my relationship took a nose dive and I was snorting cocaine again. This only happened twice thank GOD and I ended up quitting on Nov. 10th, 2015. I have not had a drink or drug since. I am grateful to be where I am at today and I am so fortunate to have the Smart tools. The first 2 months were so hard. I still have cravings and urges now and then, but nothing like in the beginning. I facilitated my first face to face Smart meeting last week - something I have wanted to do since I did the training in 2013. I know this was my last shot at drinking. I know I am done forever and I am so thankful I don't have to suffer anymore. Life is good today and in August I will complete another Half Ironman triathlon. I am very excited.

I just wanted to give hope to anyone struggling. This program really works if you apply the tools and do the work. I have some other really good books I've found that have been extremely helpful as well, but it is a combination of smart and these books which have helped me get to this place of no longer wanting to drink and do drugs.

So thank you Smart Recovery for all the help and I pray I get to help others get better in the future!

Cheers to 6 months!

Congratulations on 6 months, Mimi! I am coming up on 7 months and owe it to Smart. It took me a long time to 'get it' but it also took me a long to to get out of control with my drinking. You can't just undo bad habits without practice. Good luck to everyone!

Wow! That's so awesome MIM179! Cheers! You are absolutely an inspiration to many, thank you for sharing your success story!

Well done! sending you a big congratulatory hug!
    'The obsession to spend weakens when we starve it by not acting on it"

Congrats to you!!! Well done

Gordon1 is offline SMART Online Facilitator
    Former SMART Face to Face Facilitator
    Former SMART Online Meeting Liaison

Fabulous effort Mimi!!!

Well done on your own part and also helping others
    What got me sober was trying to get sober. Every time I lapsed, picked up, drank, I was thoroughly beaten. I thought at those times "there is no hope for me" Yet, when I had recovered from those thoughts just a little, I thought "have another go!" It was a lot of little sparks, rather than a flame, that got me here.

df2 is offline SMART Message Board Co-Liaison
    Former SMART Meeting Helper
    SMART Message Board Volunteer

Congratulations Mimi, thanks for volunteering!
    "The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time". Thomas A. Edison
    It's easy to support SMART, just click here!

wtg. im almost through day 2. thanks for the inspiration.

Default Cograts to you & all of us!

Quote Originally Posted by ejlog View Post
    wtg. im almost through day 2. thanks for the inspiration.
    "Keep it up! I'm swinging into Night 3" - deep breath!

Great job. Very motivating!

That's awesome. Good to see you are out there helping others too.

Congrats! Thanks for sharing.

I tremble at the though of a lapse! Last one was horrid.

Thank you for sharing!! Would you mind if I PM you about the "moderation" thing?
    The light is there, but it won't come to you. Instead, you must chase the light. ~ Lisbeth Darsh

Nice story. Congrats to you and cheers to your 6 months.

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!