Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default My Good bye Letter

Addiction,
    You had always been a casual friend to me.More like an aquintance.
    I enjoyed you when you were around,but didn't miss you when you were not.

Then... For many reasons,I began to rely on you more.You became a good friend,a friend that was there to console me,to feel good about life and myself. You never doubted me,but it came to the point where I as doubting myself.

The people closest to me were seeing a difference.There were a lot of questions and on my part a lot of lies.I was becoming someone they didn't like.Someone I didn't like.But...you were still there.

My relationships were crumbling around me.My family was always on guard.I have so much good in my life but I chose you over everything that is good.I have had so much shame and guilt.How could I do this? This is not me,how did I get to this place?

I let you in when I was most vulnerable and you took advantage.I am angry at this!

I will not feel the shame and guilt anymore.I can't if I want to move forward,and I DO.

Ive learned so much about myself and how I let you influence me.I have dug deep and am so proud of myself.My family sees it! I see it too!
    I am learning the tools to cope.I am making my own rules.I am in charge of my future.Me and only Me.Not you.
    There will be times when you try to creep back in but I will dig deep and always remember what brought me to this place.You will Not bring me down again.

I have no more secrets and I have great supports.Supports I didn't know I had.Thats a beautiful thing!!

So addiction,I say good bye.I have a lot to live for and you are not part of it.
    So excited about my future,No more lies.
    Peg

I wrote this letter a couple of weeks into my recovery.
    That was 2 years ago!Ive been a non drinker since December 18,2013.

Life is good! I am good!
    Peg

Thanks for sharing this with us, it is a story that can be written by many or us at SMART.
    In memory of HG “What people really need is a good listening to” " Mary Lou Casey", http://bit.ly/passthehat

Sam29 is offline Distance Training Team
    Former SMART Online Facilitator

Very inspiring, Peg. Thank you.

Love,
    Sam

HughK is offline SMART Online Facilitator
    SMART Face to Face Facilitator
    SMART MB Volunteer
    SMART Online Facilitator's Co-Liaison

Good on you Peg! Fantastic! Congrats on the two years
    What got me sober was trying to get sober. Every time I lapsed, picked up, drank, I was thoroughly beaten. I thought at those times "there is no hope for me" Yet, when I had recovered from those thoughts just a little, I thought "have another go!" It was a lot of little sparks, rather than a flame, that got me here.

Nice to see your post this morning Peg
    Wherever you go, there you are

Thank you for sharing that. I really needed to read that today .

Good morning,
    Not sure how the "Not You" got in the title line,anywho...
    Thank you for your responses,I truly appreciate each and every one!
    Peg

Congratulations.

Awesome Peg, Very inspiring. I congratulate you for your continued VICTORY!

Well written and inspiring letter. Kudos!
    “It’s not how far you fall, but how high you bounce that counts.” - Zig Ziglar

WOW! Some pretty heavy stuff there. This was so inspiring and I appreciate you sharing this! It's awesome to hear of other people's success stories. To see this written in the form of a goodbye letter is... almost eerie. It's like saying goodbye to an old friend or old lover that treated you like dirt. Very intense! Thank you.

Really, really lovely.

Love this Peg, so much that I printed it out and put it in a special place to remind myself. Thank you so much for posting it!

This is good stuff indeed! And congrats!

Beautiful... I share the same sentiment!

Thanks to you all,
    This is my life and I'm loving it.
    Easy? No but I'm looking forward and on a great path,and soooo worth it!
    Peg

This is wonderful Peg, thanks so much for writing it. For me, closing out day three, it will really help me see my addiction for what it is. A manipulative hanger-on pretending to be a friend.

Congrats on two years! Thanks for the inspiration.

That was an amazing and inspiring post... i am taking alot from it in my recovery also
    James81

Thank you for the replies.
    Your words mean a lot to me.
    Peg

Wow Peg....very thoughtful and inspiring...I like that "good bye"....6 days for me!! hope to be where you are in 2 years!!

Congrats! That's awesome!!! As a newbie here, reading something like that keeps me hopeful anD inspires me to continue on my path of sobriety. Thank You!

Great letter Peg. Thank you for sharing.

pretty awesome stuff peg, thank you!

Simply Awesome!!!! You're an inspiration and this should be a sticky..

Great letter!

Thank you everyone! I appreciate your words
    Life is good,I am good!
    Peg

Dear Peg
    Thank you for sharing this inspiring goodbye letter. And it really resonates with me, how our addiction can become our best friend at such a high price. Even after quite a few years clean and sober, I have moments of doubt, I find myself sometimes longing for that old "friend" but then I remember just what kind of a friend it really was and I continue on my journey of sobriety. And you're right when you say that it's not always easy, this new path, no it isn't but so worth it. Thank you for giving me something wonderful to wake up to today.

Best to you.
    q7
    "The central human drama is not wanting the experience we are having"

That was quite inspiring and thought-provoking) Thinking of my addiction as a friend who used me all up and had just thrown away when things got the worst, and inviting me to have the same experience over and over again - there was and has been nothing friendly in it to me.

Very inspiring! Congrats on the 2 years, as well! Were you using SMART when you wrote this letter?

Thank you Junior,
    I was in a 6 week in patient treatment facility when I wrote my letter.
    It was an AA based facility but after a few weeks there I was given the opportunity to go to 2 Smart meetings.
    That was a gift. I finished my treatment in early February 2014 and when I got home I Joined SROL and began attending F2F meetings weekly.
    I still attend the meetings and read here. I do this because I have got so much from Smart that maybe I can tell my story and give someone hope. Hope that I was looking for in the beginning of my recovery.

I don't drink and I have to thank Smart and my supports for helping me find my way.
    Thanks for asking...All my best to you
    Peg

Great job staying focused.stay determined, you know what you need to do

Great job staying focused.
    Very inspiring! Congrats on the 2 years, as well! Were you using SMART when you wrote this letter?
    That was quite inspiring and thought-provoking.
    Last edited by HughK; May 18, 2016 at 6:48 AM. Reason: First sentence removed.

That is awesome. You give me hope and inspiration. I wrote my good-bye letter as well. I am currently in a live-in treatment facility and am leaving this Friday. I have my tools and surly plan to use them. Today is my 44th day sober. Am so excited to live again instead of just exist. Thanks

Thank you for sharing, it has given me great inspiration.

Hello !!
    Thank you for sharing this letter, I am glad that you have been able to be sober for this two years and I'm sure you will be able to do it for so much more years !!
    Yes life is good

Congratulations on your sobriety and your inspiring letter. I said good bye to my old friend 2 1/2 months ago and started with Smart today. I'm enjoying my life, and myself, so much more now. Life is very good.

Default Slow and Steady Wins the Race

Hello lin1321,

Saying god bye to your old "friend" is perhaps the most life enhancing powerful decision you have made in your life. It is guaranteed to open a new world to you it has for me 2 1/2 months is an awesome beginning. I am pleased you are experiencing life as very good!

Hey lin1321,
    Thanks for your kind words! I started with Smart around the 2 1/2 month mark also.Congrats to you!!!
    I am coming up on 4 years in December,I can't say enough about the website and the people in these forums.
    This is the best thing I've ever done for me,and it will be for you too!!
    All my best
    Peg

Wonderful letter Peg.

JvB
    "Life, as the Buddha said twenty-four hundred years ago, isn't but includes suffering (Life isn't suffering. But it includes suffering.) See it as it is, accept the good with the bad, and thereby enjoy much of it."
    Albert Ellis, Ph.D.

I know you wrote this a while ago, but thanks so much for doing it! I am new to SR but sober for 6+ months, is there a forum you would suggest?
    Thanks

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!