Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Hi Winning!
    I started with the " I will not drink today because" thread and the Morning check in thread.
    These threads helped keep me accountable especially in the first year.
    I still scroll through the threads and offer my support.I find this whole website very motivating.
    Yayy for you on 6 months!
    All my best
    Peg

stand your ground!

Thank you so much for sharing Peg! You are an inspiration.

Youíve given me hope. Iím only on day one of giving up a highly addictive prescription drug. I have been feeling completely hopeless, and now I DONíT!!
    Thank you and congratulations!!!

Default Goodbye letter

Quote Originally Posted by Peg1960 View Post
    Addiction,
    You had always been a casual friend to me.More like an aquintance.
    I enjoyed you when you were around,but didn't miss you when you were not.

Then... For many reasons,I began to rely on you more.You became a good friend,a friend that was there to console me,to feel good about life and myself. You never doubted me,but it came to the point where I as doubting myself.

The people closest to me were seeing a difference.There were a lot of questions and on my part a lot of lies.I was becoming someone they didn't like.Someone I didn't like.But...you were still there.

My relationships were crumbling around me.My family was always on guard.I have so much good in my life but I chose you over everything that is good.I have had so much shame and guilt.How could I do this? This is not me,how did I get to this place?

I let you in when I was most vulnerable and you took advantage.I am angry at this!

I will not feel the shame and guilt anymore.I can't if I want to move forward,and I DO.

Ive learned so much about myself and how I let you influence me.I have dug deep and am so proud of myself.My family sees it! I see it too!
    I am learning the tools to cope.I am making my own rules.I am in charge of my future.Me and only Me.Not you.
    There will be times when you try to creep back in but I will dig deep and always remember what brought me to this place.You will Not bring me down again.

I have no more secrets and I have great supports.Supports I didn't know I had.Thats a beautiful thing!!

So addiction,I say good bye.I have a lot to live for and you are not part of it.
    So excited about my future,No more lies.
    Peg

I wrote this letter a couple of weeks into my recovery.
    That was 2 years ago!Ive been a non drinker since December 18,2013.

Life is good! I am good!
    Peg
    Dear Peg1960, WOW! It's January 2019 and I just had the honor of reading your Good Bye letter to addiction. I hope that life is still good for you! Thank you for your powerful words...I know it's not easy. You are an inspiration! Enjoy life!

Hi Dschwendy,Yes life is good. I celebrated 5 Years in December.Thank You for your kind words.
    its the best thing I have ever done for myself
    Peg

vickimz is offline Former SMART Meeting Helper
    SMART MB Volunteer

Default Share the Magic

Hi Peg,

Your letter to addiction was spot on. I shared the same feelings yet never thought to write a letter to my addictive choices, it's a helpful tool in the process of letting go and moving forward in life. Would it be okay with you if I found suggesting writing a letter that might be helpful to a fellow Smartie's recovery to do so? Again, great tool! Congratulations on your wonderful and inspiring recovery!

Hi Vicki,Thanks so much but I can’t take credit for the letter writing idea.
    We were asked to do this at the treatment program I was at. I must admit,seeing my thoughts in words on a paper was very liberating. Yes,I think it’s a great tool and hope that others will benefit from doing it!
    Thanks again for your kind words
    Peg

vickimz is offline Former SMART Meeting Helper
    SMART MB Volunteer

Default Share the Magic

Hi Peg,

Again keep up the superb recovery and by all means keep sharing. You are a valuable person and a true asset to the SROL community
    !

Awesome on 5 years!! So good to hear this.

Thanks for sharing....I enjoyed reading, you are absolutely correct, life is good.
    Scout

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!