Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default If I can do it, I believe anybody can.

I came to SMART in January 2014 as a ‘lurker.’ I lurked about in chat, at meetings, and on the forum, seeing all that people lost to their addictions. I could easily see me losing my kids, my job, my savings, my freedom because I drove while I was drinking pretty often.

But I couldn’t stop. I wondered how did all these people here do this when all I could think about most the time was my next drink. But with all their successes, I saw hope for me. That was huge.
    The day I quit, in March 2014, I woke up drunk on a Sunday morning and my kids were gone. I discovered later that one child I had driven to a friend’s house and the other one I had a conversation with that I didn’t remember and she was also at a friend’s. And I was still legally drunk.
    I went to the SMART chat room and my buddy Penz was there; I denounced alcohol and decided that the risks I was taking were too great and what I could lose too valuable. I haven’t had a drink since.
    It was very hard at first. I was in chat or in a meeting almost continuously for the first few weeks. I got the support, ideas, and tools that I need to get through each day, until those days turned into weeks and into months and now into about a year and a half sober.

I lost about 15 pounds in the first two months, I gave the money I was spending on alcohol to a trainer and got back into shape. My depression and ruminating thoughts about my ‘bad’ life lifted; I could never imagine that not drinking would take away my depression, but it did.
    The benefits of not drinking? No longer risking my family, my home, my job, my money, my future, or my freedom. The negatives? I have to learn to deal with relationships sober; having fun sober has been the biggest challenge, but as time has gone by, my successes there have been great. I control my life; my behavior no longer controls it.
    I owe it all to SMART. The quality of my life is so much higher because I use the tools in my everyday life and it gets better and better. I had my first drink and my first buzz when I was 10 and I’ve been drinking heavily for almost 40 years. If I can do this, I believe that anybody can.
    Thanks SMART!

"There is nobody on the planet...who doesn’t have what it takes to wake up" Pema Chödrön

df2 is offline SMART Message Board Co-Liaison
    Former SMART Meeting Helper
    SMART Message Board Volunteer

What a nice thing to read this morning Ch2n, you are an inspiration for all of us. Thanks for sharing.
    "The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time". Thomas A. Edison
    It's easy to support SMART, just click here!

So nice to see some of your story and know you a little more

Congrats!!
    I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.

Kudos to you, Ch2n!

Thanks for sharing Ch2n, I needed that little boost. A great accomplishment for you indeed.
    "My powers are ordinary. Only my application brings me success." - Isaac Newton

Thank you for sharing this. I signed up to SMART this morning, and hearing success stories gives me the hope I am so desperately looking for.

Very inspirational, thanks for sharing. I am in my first week, hearing stories like yours lets me know that it is possible!

Wow, I can't tell you how much your story has helped me think about my own issues. Success indeed!

Totally relate to this and I hope to be able to tell the same story a year from now -- I am at the beginning of that road. Thank you for the honesty and inspiration!
    There is no better time than right now.

thank you for your post. i can relate to it all. but myk daughter is here with me, and we are trying to work out our differences, and my guilt, and anxiety over being a drunk when she was growing up

Thanks for sharing. This inspired me today.

Hi Liam!

Thanks for sharing your inspiring story!

Thanks for the reminder that as much as we might think our lives cannot be "repaired", they can, with our hard work here at SMART. Making a sincere effort to dive into the toolbox, meetings, forum, blogs, and the 24/7/365 support in the chat room really does change things for so many people here, every day.

Like you, it took a huge consequence for me to quit drinking. My suggestion to Smarties is that a huge consequence may be right around the corner. We never know. I don't recommend waiting for one.

Best wishes to you,
    Gentoo
    <( ')
    It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry. ~ Joe Moore

I too stand to loose everything again! Reading how you changed a 40 year addiction around in a year and a half has really inspired me. 13 year I've used heroin and I've had enough now. I've said that a hundred times, I hope that was one of the last. Good luck keeping it up.

lovely ch2 very inspiring and its always a pleasure to see you

Gordon1 is offline SMART Online Facilitator
    Former SMART Face to Face Facilitator
    Former SMART Online Meeting Liaison

WOW Ch2n! Fantastic!

"I lost about 15 pounds in the first two months, I gave the money I was spending on alcohol to a trainer and got back into shape. My depression and ruminating thoughts about my ‘bad’ life lifted; I could never imagine that not drinking would take away my depression, but it did."

ACTIVE Recovery at its finest!!!
    What got me sober was trying to get sober. Every time I lapsed, picked up, drank, I was thoroughly beaten. I thought at those times "there is no hope for me" Yet, when I had recovered from those thoughts just a little, I thought "have another go!" It was a lot of little sparks, rather than a flame, that got me here.

Just a fantastic journey Ch2n. Thank you for sharing it and well done!
    "The central human drama is not wanting the experience we are having"

Hey Ch2n I am so glad you got to get sober before anything really bad happened. This time 10 years ago I went into detox and then joined AA but couldn't stay stopped and my youngest son got taken into care..I wanted to die I was in so much pain. But, I battled through and managed to stay sober for a year before they would let me have him back, but it was on the condition that I kept going to AA and I knew they would be keeping an eye on me. So i stayed sober for 3 years in total, however it wasnt the best of sobrieties as it was forced on me rather than me and during a very difficult time in my life. However I then relapsed for 4 years (not as bad as before but nevertheless a continuous cycle of morbid battle with control and limiting to 1 bottle per night) I gave up of all hope and felt there was no support out there for me as I cannot get on with the 12 steps. Finally got the courage to come back on here and feel there is hope and light at the end of the tunnel

Its people like you that make me want that time! Im at 5 months but I always see someone who has longer and I think THATS what i want. Good for you.

It's a very inspiring success stories I came across. Being an Addiction Counselor I have seen people life turning gradually with an immense support from family members. I the success story of Ch2n the scenario is same. So I always suggest addict family to be a part of every counseling which instigate the addict to recovery from addiction.

Thank you for sharing this it makes me feel like someone understands.

Moderator LMR555 is offline SMART Online Admin Team
    SMART Message Board Volunteer

Quote Originally Posted by alphahealingcenter View Post
    It's a very inspiring success stories I came across. I have seen people life turning gradually with an immense support from family members. I the success story of Ch2n the scenario is same. So I always suggest addict family to be a part of every counseling which instigate the addict to recovery from addiction.
    SMART Recovery discourages the use of negative labels; such a "addict" or "alcoholic". It is your choice if you find it helpful.
    "Discover the Power of Choice!"

“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” – Chinese Proverb

I have to learn to deal with relationships sober; having fun sober has been the biggest challenge, but as time has gone by, my successes there have been great. I control my life; my behavior no longer controls it. This is the BEST part for me ch2n. Congratulations on all your successes thus far and looking forward to hearing about your many more to come. :-)

Ya, I had no idea how much more enjoyable life can be doing things sober. GOOD clean fun is the new cool in my book. I would NEVER had gone on an outdoors hiking vacation in the past unless it was coupled with partying someplace before or after. Next week husband and I are going to bryce, zion and grand canyon with my 2 sisters and their husbands. So stoked to be alive.
    Where the mind goes energy flows. 10/3/19

Bryce, Zion, and the Grand Canyon, what an awesome trip. I miss the southwest so much. Have a wonderful time Shelly.
    "My powers are ordinary. Only my application brings me success." - Isaac Newton

Anything could happen if we have endeavor. Thank you so much for sharing!
    Anyways, I am on my journey to recover now. So it's great when reading all successful stories!

Thank you for sharing and this is what I'm looking for from SMART Recovery. Thanks again for the Inspiration. Wally

What a kick-*** story. This was much like mine.

awesome story ... congrats on the sobriety .. keep the good work up

Thank you Ch2n. That's just the inspiration I joined this site to benefit from. I am just at the start of my journey but one day would like to get where you are.

I am brand new here and I don't know quite where to start or how to connect with someone on the chat line. I need help.

Thank you for instilling hope in tommorrow!

freeman is offline SMART Online Facilitator
    SMART Face to Face Facilitator

proud of you ch2n now its 1yr and 9 months.

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!