Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default WOW it's been three years.....

I honestly can't believe it's been three years since I've had a beer or any other alcoholic beverage. (I accidentally swallowed some mouthwash once and I almost threw up - that was strong!!) Unfortunately, I can't say I'm "cured" because I know I drink too much diet coke and I seem to be eating more and more sugary sweets so I need to address those two things...eventually.

I think a huge reason that I am still sober is I completely changed where I hang out, people I hang out with etc. I think AA says you should do that but I think people are kind of hesitant about it, they don't want to be "rude" or maybe they don't want to admit that their "best friend" was only a drinking buddy since now that you are sober, you don't seem to have much in common with them. In fact, I haven't seen my "best friend" since I quit drinking. We correspond on social media a little but that is it. I think in order to change your life and all the nasty habits that go with it, you have to sever the ties - distance yourself and then remake your world with new "blocks".

This past weekend I went to a local Ribfest because my boyfriend wanted to see the bands that were playing (Jackyl, Jack Russel's Great White, and LA Guns). In the past, this is exactly the kind of atmosphere I would have been at, drunk as a skunk, and having a "great" time. For most of it we stood out of the way (it was an outdoor fair). We thought it would be cool to see if we could get closer and I had only walked about ten feet into the crowd and I could smell beer and people were looking relaxed and happy. And just everyone was acting soooo stupid! Take the recycling to the center is almost just as bad - stale beer smell.

I was very nervous about going. I know it's been 3 years but since I quit, I have avoided all those types of situations - no bars, no meeting up with old friends, no events where alcohol and/or drugs would have been part of the "good time". I kind of thought that instead of dealing with why I drank, it was just easier to change everything about my life.. lol. and I wondered this past weekend if it was more my situation that kept me sober or if was actually "me" that kept me sober. My boyfriend now doesn't drink and has trouble seeing any appeal in it and wonders how that could sound attractive. And I know he would be very disappointed if I did fall off the wagon. On the other hand, I don't care why I'm sober.. just that I am sober and intend to stay that way.

Thank you to everyone here that helped me get this far, being supportive and pointing me in the right direction. Keep trying - as long as you are trying, you're not dying.

Jripp

Jripp,
    Thanks for sharing that, very insightful about the relationships that revolve around alcohol. It's been hard to acknowledge that all I've had in common with some friends is drinking. Congrats on 3 years!

Cheryl
    "There is nobody on the planet...who doesn’t have what it takes to wake up" Pema Chödrön

LMR555 is offline SMART MB Co-Liaison
    Former SMART Online Facilitator
    SMART Message Board Volunteer
    SMART Online Leadership Team

Hi Jripp,

Congrats on 3 years! Did you find any of the SMART tools and community helpful?

Attached Images Attached Images
    "Discover the Power of Choice!"

“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” – Chinese Proverb

Join the team as a SMART Message Board Volunteer!! It can encourage growth and joy. Or support with a donation http://bit.ly/passthehat

Thank you - I don't think I could have done it without this site and all the information it contains. Also - although I've never met anyone on this site in person (yet) - I have become good friends with some of them and without the support and insight of the people here I wouldn't have had the courage to toss the crutch to the curb and learn to walk on my own.

I_am_Ned is offline Former SMART Message Board Volunteer
    SMART FtF Facilitator

Congratulations Jripplinger. I may never catch you!

I am I_am_Ned
    I see no reason in what you just wrote to drink

Congrats to you!
    I Love success stories
    Peg

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!