Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default 2 years sober today

Hello folks,

Today I have been clean and sober for 2 years. It has been a great ride. I didn't have any massive tragedies. I never was arrested or had a DUI. I had various levels of using: moderate drinking, binge drinking, daily drinking, drug use. I thought I was a “functioning” user for quite a while. Some bad things would happen, pissing off family, friends, girlfriends. Yet I would continue on. Then I started quitting jobs, which naturally lead into not being able to land a job. I had to move out of my house unwillingly and start couch surfing. Bouncing from family house to family house. Yet I still rationalized the drinking and drugging. All of my woes were easily blamed on someone else, something else, bad luck.

As I continued to use, my finances were turning into a shambles. I was in desperate need of change. After a terrible 2 day hangover during Thanksgiving.. on November 26, 2012, I chose to stop the madness. I had stopped in the past, yet I always seemed to have permission to use again in the back of my mind. This time permission was no longer granted. It was like an on off switch, and I just turned it off. After 3 months I decided to try a support group. That's when I found SMART. The tools, online meetings and chat room really helped me A LOT. This time, I was not alone.

There I was, unemployed, plenty of time to hang out in the chat room during the day. I would search for jobs and chat. I finally landed a job. Not a dream job, but it stopped the bleeding. Maybe, just maybe I could become a productive person again. I started making friends again through my sports activities. I always was a sports/exercising person. Beach volleyball, running, basketball, golf etc. I focused on my healthy sporting life. In the last two years I have ran 4 full marathons and 5 half marathons. My mental and physical well being has gone far beyond what I could have imagined. I have paid off a big chunk of debt that built up during all my using years. Life did get better, and staying sober became much easier and a more peaceful way to live. I no longer had the mindset that I was “missing out” because I wasn't using. I finally had peace of mind.

Thank you to all the SMART facilitators, helpers and members.

BF

That's fantastic, BF! Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story!!

BF, this is just fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing your story. Just EXCELLENT.

There must be something about November! Thank you for your own kind words to me just the other day.

My very best,
    Dee

Way to go Beach! I have enjoyed knowing you via chat. Your positive, upbeat attitude towards sobriety have helped many, I am sure of it! Have a great Thanksgiving!

I am so proud of you Beach. I too have enjoyed getting to know you in chat. I am awed by your success and I am sure you will help many more people by telling your story. What an incredible journey!
    Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin. Mother Teresa

Hurray! Really, really wonderful!

Excellent!

Hope this was a wondrous Thanksgiving Day with many more yet to come.
    Wherever you go, there you are

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!