Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default One Year Ago Today

Hello there! Today is exactly one year since I decided to stop drinking. A couple weeks after that decision, I knew I couldn't do it on my own, so I searched online and stumbled upon SMART Recovery Online, and am very I glad I did. I could not have made it without the support of the people & the tools here. Of course, I wish that I'd decided to stop earlier, but it was a good time for me to quit because I was firm in my resolve after attending the funeral of someone who'd died of organ failure from alcoholism at the age of 47.

It has been so worth the effort.

The primary realizations I've had are that (1) I previously thought I needed alcohol to cope, but alcohol actually worsened my coping abilities; (2) Alcohol was only a crutch -- it solved nothing; and (3) Drinking was a problem for me, and it always would be, so I needed to stop.

It feels like I've grown up and matured by giving up the crutch. Are things perfect? Of course not, but they are a heck of a lot better. And, I thank the people at Smart and my peers for being here to help me stay motivated and keep things in perspective.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! The journey continues.
    Because we're worth it.

Yes! Oh wow - you really made a great summary of what one year looks like! And I wish you all the best going forward. Can we agree to meet back here in twelve months and renew this clarity and commitment??
    It is solved by walking.

Yay mctj!!! So excited for you! It's so great to enjoy life when things feel a heck of a lot better.

I usually ask something like what surprised you the most in the past year but I like your three point summation better. Good work on taking back control of your life and your future.

Wherever you go, there you are

Congrats! Our quit dates are close together, and very similar observations to myself.

Mel =)
    I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.

Congratulations, you inspire me!
    Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood- Helen Keller

Thank you for your kind words, CRomo, Mel, Fen, Omni, & Dirk. Some of you know well how great it feels to reach this milestone. To others of you who are actively working on reaching that milestone, it is definitely achievable. So, hang in there, stay strong, and best to you all. It is worth it, and so are you!
    Because we're worth it.

Hooray, mctj!!! Sorry I have not been around much, but I am so very, very, very glad to see that you hit your 1 year mark and continue to settle in to your life without alcohol. I will hit the one-year mark myself tomorrow. The first 6 months went by so slowly, it seemed, and last 6 months flew by. I feel like I took my life and my health back in the past year. Giving up alcohol is nothing compared to what I have gained. Thanks for being so brave, kind, supportive, and positive. Your words have never failed to bring me comfort. I have enjoyed walking this road with you so far.

Ashley
    To invent your own life's meaning is not easy, but it's still allowed. -Bill Watterson

Ashbash, thank you! I only just now went back in here to re-read this post & the accompanying comments and noticed your post. You were a HUGE inspiration to me and I congratulate you on your one year (now seventeen months)! Likewise, it's been my genuine pleasure to have had you be there...and I hope you are still enjoying the health and life you regained, my friend.
    Because we're worth it.

Mctj,
    Thank you so much for this post! In particular, your realization that alcohol does NOT help you cope, but actually makes you worse at coping resonated with me. I too have bought into that line of thinking and it made me go back to the bottle. When I read your post I gasped, seeing my own thinking in it...

yesssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!! congratulations to you!!!! and thank you for summing up so precisely what my own thoughts~~~~ one year seems so far away, and reading your success and all of the comments below make it feel attainable. i have said this so many times over the past week and half, but reading other people's words that are so close to my own, is comforting. thank you for sharing your journey!

I'm really surprised to read your story, it's really motivational for me. You did really a great work.

Thank you TaraHope, Kak777, and Birtwistle! I see you all joined in January this year. You can do it. Don't think about how far a year is...it can be overwhelming. I'm hoping you've all stuck with this, and are starting to realize that it's worth the work and you are worth the healthy choice of sobriety.

(I still firmly believe that alcohol negatively impacted my ability to cope with life and things that were out of my control. It was a nothing but a self-deluding belief to think that was a benefit.)

Thanks again!
    Because we're worth it.

Keep up the good work!!!! You deserve a round of applause

To stop drinking is not an easy but you have proved that if a person decides he can do anything. I am very happy for you. Have a good time ahead.

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!