Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!
    Randy02769 is offline SMART MB Volunteer
    SMART Face to Face Facilitator

Default 2 1/2 Years Later

I was clean and sober. I helped others to get and stay the same. However I couldn't encourage others to duplicate what I had gone through to get and stay clean and sober. Then it occurred to me " If I won't ask others to go through this why am I doing it to myself?". I decided to start a new recovery movement. I Googled recovery to see if anyone else might be interested in joining me. I am so glad that SMART recovery came up and not scientology!

At first I couldn't believe it. What do you mean by SELF management? This went against everything I had been taught. Isn't my disease so powerful that only Devine intervention will work? This is not a put down. I believe that there are some things I do need help with, that's why I'm here. However I have learned that there is plenty that ONLY I can do. I still believe in God, I just don't believe that God keeps me sober while others die from this.

I have found that what works best is to have an imaginary tool box. Just like any other problem I need certain tools to get a job done. Throughout life I have had success at certain things, so I brought tools with me here that work. I use these tools to keep motivated, overcome urges, and solve problems. Here I found new tools waiting for me to try. When I find one that looks like it will help I add it to the box. We are all here to explain the tools, help each other stay on course and support each other along the way. I have been doing this for two years and WOW.

All the Best,

Randy

Randy, congrats on 2 1/2 years!

I have learned that there is plenty that ONLY I can do.
    This brought to mind an Albert Ellis quote:

"The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own.

You do not blame them on your mother, the ecology, or the president.

You realize that you control your own destiny.
    "

Thanks for this and for all you've given here at SMART.
    “If you want to change your life......change your mind"

Congrats Randy! What an inspiration.

Mel =)
    I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!