Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default An Update from Gentoo!

I first posted my success story about 3.5 years free from alcohol thanks to SMART Recovery here:
    http://www.smartrecovery.org/communi...1#.U7rpUagVzkI

Now it's 4.2 years and my new life keeps getting better and better. For one thing I have no urges to drink anymore. The occasional thought of my drinking days might appear once in a great while (say, a fleeting thought of a beer at a ballgame). But now, It's easy for me to just shake my head and banish the thought. And sometimes just smile about how the old thoughts occasionally flicker.

This has truly sunk in for me: It's just a thought like any other. I choose how much power to give it, just like any other thought. It's not something to fear. It's just a thought. I accept that after doing something for decades, it's unreasonable to expect those memories to disappear, just like any other long-term memory. It doesn't mean I am about to relapse. I have the power to control my thoughts 24/7. The SMART tools made that happen for me.

I experience little things that delight me every day, and I truly appreciate and am grateful for them. It can be a quality of light that I notice at dawn or dusk, the song of a bird I never heard before, relishing the taste of a food, or really enjoying the softness of the sheets and blankets in my bed and welcoming the pleasure of drifting off in comfort, feeling in good health. I say to myself that this is how life was meant to be lived - above the influence!

Best wishes to everyone who might read this!

And I invite you to visit www.smartrecovery.org/freedom/ to share your story. Be a recovery hero to inspire others!

Warmly,
    Gentoo
    It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry. ~ Joe Moore

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing this, and I look forward to reading the freedom posts.

I would like to chime in on this thread because I recognize you from the late-night chats I used to do in my earliest abstinence stages from alcohol. Though I can only plan for as much "sobriety" as you have (I'm only about 4.1 months right now) I can attest to the validity of this program

I have found the CBT therapy skills integration inherent in this program far more useful to my freedom from both alcohol and cigarettes, especially in my current state of being, than any 12 step modeled program, even though I still use a mixture of the two to maintain my freedom from addiction.

So-called "meetings" are lovely and make me feel calm and help me find my spiritual center, but the real cognitive work is done mostly here in SMART recovery. Gentoo, I congratulate you on your amazingly long period of freedom from alcohol with the pink elephants and I want to call my story a success because I feel perfectly comfortable that I will never turn to alcohol again because of this program.

Default I'm new at this...

Hello Gentoo,

I just started today. I've tried AA, read books, tried to manage my drinking myself. Nothing has worked...I can go periods of time(days, weeks, months, even years at one point), but always fall back into the alcohol trap. Any advice is greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Kevin1964

Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    I first posted my success story about 3.5 years free from alcohol thanks to SMART Recovery here:
    http://www.smartrecovery.org/communi...1#.U7rpUagVzkI

Now it's 4.2 years and my new life keeps getting better and better. For one thing I have no urges to drink anymore. The occasional thought of my drinking days might appear once in a great while (say, a fleeting thought of a beer at a ballgame). But now, It's easy for me to just shake my head and banish the thought. And sometimes just smile about how the old thoughts occasionally flicker.

This has truly sunk in for me: It's just a thought like any other. I choose how much power to give it, just like any other thought. It's not something to fear. It's just a thought. I accept that after doing something for decades, it's unreasonable to expect those memories to disappear, just like any other long-term memory. It doesn't mean I am about to relapse. I have the power to control my thoughts 24/7. The SMART tools made that happen for me.

I experience little things that delight me every day, and I truly appreciate and am grateful for them. It can be a quality of light that I notice at dawn or dusk, the song of a bird I never heard before, relishing the taste of a food, or really enjoying the softness of the sheets and blankets in my bed and welcoming the pleasure of drifting off in comfort, feeling in good health. I say to myself that this is how life was meant to be lived - above the influence!

Best wishes to everyone who might read this!

And I invite you to visit www.smartrecovery.org/freedom/ to share your story. Be a recovery hero to inspire others!

Warmly,
    Gentoo

So great to read this and it is encouraging as well as inspiring for me as I begin on this new stage of freedom for myself by not drinking. Thank you Red

I want to be that happy too. I'll keep working at this. I am very grateful for SMART people like yourself Gentoo!

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!