Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!
    Gordon1 is offline SMART Online Facilitator
    Former SMART Face to Face Facilitator
    Former SMART Online Meeting Liaison

Default Passed One Year Totally Sober - 17 months active recovery and 13 months at SMART

I am very grateful for the people here and for the resources I enjoy at SMART.

I was committed to a better life when I came here, however I was struggling hugely.

Tooltime helped me an enormous amount; as did buying the handbook; as did regular attendance in the chat room and at meetings; as did regular reading and working with the tools.

The CBA - Cost Benefit Analysis - was my best mate early on - the HoV - Hierarchy of Values - proved to be my next very important tool.

I use tools regularly - I work with them and put them into my life.

What got me here, may not get me there, so I stay open and aware of the need to strengthen my recovery or reinvention.

Thankyou so much to all the members of SMART who assisted me in my journey and took the time to offer a kind word and encouragement.

I wish you peace and the life of your positive choice.
    What got me sober was trying to get sober. Every time I lapsed, picked up, drank, I was thoroughly beaten. I thought at those times "there is no hope for me" Yet, when I had recovered from those thoughts just a little, I thought "have another go!" It was a lot of little sparks, rather than a flame, that got me here.

I hope I don't embarass you but I grabbed a section of your first post here

"So I am anxious and hung over. I need more help and personal empowerment. I trust you are well and I wish you the best for your journey."

Two quick sentences that explain where you are and then you close with thoughts of others. You do the same with your latest post. Nicely done.

So one year (I would add the four months you had before the crash that helped bring you here), time enough to no longer be running from, have you got anything for the future you are running towards? My other stock question is what surprised you in the past year, good or bad?

Congrats on the changes you have made and on helping others in your time here, enjoy the change your work has brought!
    Wherever you go, there you are

What an inspiration your post is, HughK. I'm not quite a month into SMART Recovery, and it's good to read your success. Thank you!

Hugh, Yours was a meeting I frequented on some of my most ambivalent days... you helped me a great deal and now I am sober about 4 months. Thanks Hugh. And thanks for posting.
    "There is nobody on the planet...who doesn’t have what it takes to wake up" Pema Chödrön

it's good to read your success. Thank you!

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!