Thread: Six Years Sober

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default Six Years Sober

SMART and all of my SMART friends,
    I don't come around to see you and check in enough but it is with great gratitude that I approach SIX years of sobriety. Six years ago I would not have thought this was possible. I owe a debt of gratitude to SMART, the organization, and the people at SMART. (snorkle, genie, jvb, razz, bear, jvb -- I know I'm missing a bunch of you!) When I first arrived on SMART's proverbial door step (or is that a web step?), I was still actively drinking A LOT. The great people here still made me feel accepted, welcome even. I had invested 20 years in drinking when I came here. As you might imagine, by that time, I did not have many friends in the real world who wanted to hear my whining anymore. But the kind folks here listened. What's better is that you gave me some tools that opened my eyes. These tools and your kindness empowered me to begin to think that maybe things could be different. Up sprung a little bit of hope in my soul. That was all I needed to begin a long journey toward really living my life.

The past six years have been truly incredible-- there are still rough spots, but I pull out a coping tool instead of a drink. I keep thinking I'll find some time to hang out here and catch up with everyone but it's just not in the cards right now. I missed a lot in my older son's life from drinking and I'm trying to enjoy every moment of my daughters while I can. Love to all of you- jojodog

Right on!! Thanks for your message.

Way to start the week!
    Bill

It's great to read your story jojodog. Thank you

LMR555 is offline SMART MB Co-Liaison
    Former SMART Online Facilitator
    SMART Message Board Volunteer
    SMART Online Leadership Team

Hello Jojodog,

Congrats on your upcoming 6 years!! Thank you for sharing your success here.

I really enjoyed your post especially the line..."Up sprung a little bit of hope in my soul." Awesome!

Lorrie
    "Discover the Power of Choice!"

“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” – Chinese Proverb

Join the team as a SMART Message Board Volunteer!! It can encourage growth and joy. Or support with a donation http://bit.ly/passthehat

What a great note! Thank you!!! Kindness and tools. That sums up what SMART offers, to me. - Dee

Good to hear, jojo!

Keep on enjoying your life!
    snorkle
    I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders

So nice to hear from you and especially nice to hear you have six years of sobriety to claim, excellent!

"There are still rough spots, but I pull out a coping tool instead of a drink"

That is indeed a truth and a solid response!

Drop by when you get a chance and until then, keep going where you're headed, enjoy.
    Wherever you go, there you are

I read u r thread...and please help me with my addiction

Good for you Jojodog. Your story has inspired me, as I'm sure it inspires many others. Keep up the good work.

Jeevan, welcome to the SMART website. You made a wise move coming here, and you will find lots of support and tools that will help you with your personal situation. I recommend you start by posting an introductory thread on Welcome to SMART Online - Start here! Within a day you should receive support and information about SMART and the website from at least three of our volunteers. Or you might just look through the intro threads that are already there to see the same information. The info might seem overwhelming at first, but just take your time, explore the site and think about checking out the chat rooms. This is a great community, and we're here to help one another.
    "The Road has two rules only: Begin and Continue." – A Western Approach to Zen

thanks for sharing your story. Did you combine SMART with 12 step? Just starting on this journey and trying to cobble something together that makes sense to me. thanks!
    Cortney

Gordon1 is offline SMART Online Facilitator
    Former SMART Face to Face Facilitator
    Former SMART Online Meeting Liaison

Thankyou for a lovely read jojodog and six years of a life lived on purpose, is a wonderful thing!

You are an inspiration.

Much love,

Hugh
    What got me sober was trying to get sober. Every time I lapsed, picked up, drank, I was thoroughly beaten. I thought at those times "there is no hope for me" Yet, when I had recovered from those thoughts just a little, I thought "have another go!" It was a lot of little sparks, rather than a flame, that got me here.

Jojodog, great to "see" you and congratulations on SIX YEARS!
    Bravo, woman!
    Love,
    genie
    "When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds, and diamonds are made under pressure." ~ Unknown

Great stuff Jojodog -- Love to hear of your success.
    It is solved by walking.

People like you are an inspiration to the rest of us. Congratulations!
    I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!