Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default Saturday Morning Inspiration

Waking up early without a hangover is a powerful, inspiring sensation. Breathing deeply and cleanly, looking at the day and deciding how to spend my time gives a feeling of freedom and clarity I haven't felt in years. It's so very much better than waking up with a hangover so intense that you're not even sure you're hungover; when you'd been destroying yourself for so long you got to believing such feelings were normal.

I can't remember the last time I played the guitar at 8 a.m., or went for a brisk and pleasant walk in the clean, cold air even earlier than that, under a winter sky so beautiful that I chastise myself for not having looked up at it more in the past. Now I'm doing laundry and thinking about running the vacuum cleaner; but the cat is snoozing so peacefully, with the feline equivalent of a smile on his face, that I think I’ll wait a little longer.

The etymologist in me reminds me that "inspire" roughly translates as "breathe in," an oversimplification, I admit, but one that works for me this morning.
    "The Road has two rules only: Begin and Continue." – A Western Approach to Zen

LMR555 is offline SMART MB Co-Liaison
    SMART Online Facilitator
    SMART Message Board Volunteer
    SMART Online Leadership Team

Hi Jim,
    What a great description to a morning of abstinence. Thank you for sharing. I didn't think about the translation of inspire to "breathe in" I love that.
    I also cherish my early morning walks and mindfully breathe in a lot.

Glad you had such a inspiring morning.
    Lorrie
    "Discover the Power of Choice!"

“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” – Chinese Proverb

Join the team as a SMART Message Board Volunteer!! It can encourage growth and joy. Or support with a donation http://bit.ly/passthehat

dpowersdoc is offline Former SMART Online Facilitator
    Former SMART MB Volunteer

Sounds splendid, Jim, apart from walking in the cold air.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys.

Doc, if you live in the northeast, you generally don't mind the cold so much; sometimes it can even be invigorating. After all:

"Out of life's school of war: What does not destroy me, makes me stronger."
    —Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols

(Hmmm. Maybe I'll change my signature quote—something to think about.)

While lately I have been hearing people express I certain impatience for spring to arrive, I feel like my spring is already here.

Best,
    Jim
    "The Road has two rules only: Begin and Continue." – A Western Approach to Zen

Just_jimThanks for the inspiring post - a great positive vision of what life is like post-whatever. It's a great feeling isn't it?
    It is solved by walking.

Awesome post Just Jim! You made my day!

That's awesome - truly, not an exaggeration of the word "awesome." I'm closing in on 3 years after 25 years of hell, and I know exactly how you feel. It takes a little getting used to, but I now appreciate the simple pleasures that I'd so long ago forgotten, and my reality these days is the life I'd only dreamed of in darker times.

To all those newly on the path, it DOES get better - WAY better!
    Bill

Jim, this is great to hear. I was sober for 3 years then recently, over the past year, I had a relapse. I am back on it now and 3 days in. I know what you mean by waking up without a hangover or not having your lungs heavy and leaden from smoking too much the night before. It is a treat to actual feel good again. Even these last three days I feel like a human being again and I want to continue it. All the best to you!

arnt cats sweet? nice

I'm going to add some very late comments to this thread, with a big thank you to Just Jim.

1) How lovely to know that 'inspire' roughly translates as 'breathe in'.

2) And it's also great to know the proper Nietzsche quote. It is so much more powerful that the slick version we usually see...

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!