Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!
    vickimz is offline Former SMART Meeting Helper
    SMART MB Volunteer

Default Thanks to SMART Recovery

Hello and Welcome to SROL,

My name is Vickimz and I am so overjoyed to be a part of SROL.

4+ years ago I was prescribed oxycodone for pain management issues. Within several months I became aware I had a major problem. I joined SROL back in 2011 and read articles and essays, I purchased the SMART Recovery handbook and periodically would visit the chat room, and attended various workshops. With all this fantastic information at my finger tips I remained stuck in my addiction, which of course was growing in leaps and bounds.
    All the time I spent exploring SMART helped me finally come to a decision to detox off oxycodone and with the help of my pain management doctor followed a prescribed detox plan she designed for me.
    Throughout the detox phase I utilized the opiate check in site almost daily and received an enormous amount of peer support, which greatly helped. Hearing from others who were still struggling with their addiction and others who were further along the road of recovery was extremely valuable. I did not feel alone any more. I also received a great deal of support from Dee the Activities Coordinator. I reiterate the Opiate Check in Site became a life line for me.
    I have been clean since the end of September 2013 and have absolutely no intention of revisiting that painful experience.
    Now I am an active participant at SROL meetings and am looking forward to the day I can volunteer and give back what was so freely given me.
    Thank You SMART

Sincerely Vickimz

PS If you think you have a problem with an addictive behavior give SMART a try, you will draw your own conclusion as whether or not SMART Recovery will work for you as it did and does for me!

LMR555 is offline SMART MB Co-Liaison
    Former SMART Online Facilitator
    SMART Message Board Volunteer
    SMART Online Leadership Team

Hi Vickimz,
    Thank you for sharing your success story. I can relate to your comment about the check in threads being a "lifeline" while you were in early recovery. Congrats on all your abstinence time and your successes.

Lorrie
    "Discover the Power of Choice!"

“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” – Chinese Proverb

Join the team as a SMART Message Board Volunteer!! It can encourage growth and joy. Or support with a donation http://bit.ly/passthehat

SMART MB Volunteer

Thank you Lorie for the positive feedback!

Oh boy can I relate to that Quote. That train of thought fuels recovery in that it's never to late to recover, and the best time is the only time we have NOW!

SMART MB Volunteer

Hi Lorrie,

I am on cloud nine (George Harrison style, wonderful positive message album) being granted the valuable opportunity to be a Smart Message Board Volunteer. I will do my best (with USA in mind) to serve the SROL MB.

Thank you for acknowledging my recovery time and my success story and believe me I am sooo grateful to be off opiate meds that I turned into a nightmarish addiction, some folks can use them appropriately and others can not, and I am clearly one of those people that Absolutely Can Not Take Opiates Safely!!!

I am sorry I did not respond sooner to the delightful news regarding being accepted as a MB Volunteer but I have a nasty virus, I may need a few days of down time to fully recover.

Sincerely Vickimz

LMR555 is offline SMART MB Co-Liaison
    Former SMART Online Facilitator
    SMART Message Board Volunteer
    SMART Online Leadership Team

Hi Vickimz,

I can just see you sitting there on cloud nine. and I actually see you on more stable ground as well. Thank you for joining the SMART Recovery volunteer team.

I hope your feeling better as you read this!

See you around the boards,
    Lorrie
    "Discover the Power of Choice!"

“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” – Chinese Proverb

Join the team as a SMART Message Board Volunteer!! It can encourage growth and joy. Or support with a donation http://bit.ly/passthehat

SMART MB Volunteer

Hi Lorrie
    I posted on the opiates check in site and went to Sam's meeting I also was trying to figure out how to post links, I am feeling drained and needing something to eat and some rest.
    I wanted to tell you there are certain computer functions I do not understand as of yet like posting a link and so fourth I read the directions but I was lost. My son is in Australia but perhaps one of his close friends can tutor me unless you can help.
    Also is there a particular way in which I need be aware of in terms of monitoring the message boards. Any and all suggestions will be much appreciate.

Sincerely Vickimz

Hi Vickimz, and congratulations on your recovery and on becoming a volunteer.

You can post a link by clicking on the "Link" icon in the tool pallette above. It looks like a little picture of a globe with a bit of chain on it. When you click on it, a subscreen will open where you can type or copy/paste the URL (web address) you wish to add, for example: http://www.smartrecovery.org/

You can also highlight a word or words, then click the link and add the URL, and the words will be the link, for example: SROL

If you want to test the link you made (or investigate the ones I made) without losing your place, I suggest you click on the button below that says "Go Advanced" and you will see a preview of what you have already typed. Simply right-click on the link you made, then click on "Open in New Window." If you did it successfully, the link you're trying to share will open in a new browser window. Refer to the picture:

Attachment 1570

Good luck to you, and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Best,
    Jim
    "The Road has two rules only: Begin and Continue." – A Western Approach to Zen

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!