Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default Support & Encouragement

That is what SMART is full of, support and encouragement. From the first day I joined I knew this is what I really needed. I didn't need anyone telling me I was screwing up my life, I drink too much or I was heading for some health problems if I didn't quit. I already knew that, I needed to know how to quit and deal with all the regret, embarassment, fear, anxiety and bordem. Staying sober is not easy, it is very hard work, but if you want it bad enough SMART gives you the support, encouragement and tools to do it. I am relatively new to the program and I still have to work very hard every day. Someone once said "If it was easy, everyone would be doing it." and that is very true.
    The people are what make SMART, it truely is a community. There are so many volunteers who lay their heart out everyday for everyone here and I just want to say "Thank you so much for that!." We could not do it without you.
    If you read the posts you will notice anyone who has been part of SMART for even a short time will write things like "us, we, our". It is never just "the SMART community, them, it". We all take owership here and help each other when we are stong enough. I hope to be strong enough to be a volunteer one day myself.
    So if you really want to quit whatever it is you are doing or using, sign up, log in and hit the chat room. I promise, someone there will welcome you with arms wide open, probably more than one.
    Stay strong and keep moving forward.
    Gruntwench

I feel the same way GW. I joined in Sept 2013, so a month or so behind you, but so grateful for the tools, the friends, the community and the support I receive here at SMART. You personally reached out to me in my early days and continuing and that friendship and encouragement meant so much. Keep up the good work.

I want to echo your thoughts - it takes work. It isn't easy. The best way to get the value SMART has to offer is to do the work and spend the time. Buy the handbook, do the tools, worksheets, homework suggested in there. Attend an intro meeting (see online schedule) and a few (or more) tools meetings, and then pick a few Forum threads that appeal and post often (the 7 day, 30 day, 6 month are great starting point). You will make friends there if you return often. Your friends will support you and you will find yourself supporting others. All of a sudden you personally have a SMART community working with you in your journey. It is truly joyful to make this journey with the help of SMART friends.

I am proudly entering 2014 with 104 days head start on my New Year's resolution. Thanks to all my SMART friends.

Default 7 Day Thread??

In several different forums, I've seen mention that a good place for a newbie to start (which I am) is the 7 day thread. I can't locate it. Can anyone help?

Sure can.

Click Forum-> Daily Check in, Peer support groups-> Sticky First 7 Days Check In Thread - March 2014

Here is a link http://www.smartrecovery.org/community/showthread.php?t=45790#.UxYlCc7wojw
    Last edited by leaf; March 4, 2014 at 2:10 PM.
    Sobriety Date 12/16/2012
    SMART POINT 5

Thank you!

to love is nothing, to be loved is something, to love and be loved is everything

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!