Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default My 1st SMART Meeting, 10/29/2020!

This day exactly one year ago, Thursday 29th October 2020.

Having been discharged from hospital and been home for slightly over 3weeks I attended my 1stSMART Recovery meeting online. It was a local SMART Meeting conducted via zoom due to Covid-19 lockdowns being in place where I live.

I was introduced to SMART by my doctor who is treating me for substance abuse and I had just underwent a Detox that required extended hospitalization due to unforeseen complications. Complications arose during Detox as a result of amounts of alcohol I abused my body with that even the medical professionals least expected.

My doctor had given me the contact details to my local facilitator who conducts weekly meetings on Thursday evenings here. His nickname many are familiar with is “Hatrick”.

Hatrick and the other participants made me feel welcome at this meeting and am meeting them for the first time since they had their cameras on.
    I however choose to remain unseen till months later when I changed my avatar and also decided to switch on my camera.

I remember reading an opening statement at the beginning of this meeting and did a brief introductory check-in myself.
    Hatrick explained the meeting agenda and here I learned my first tool “V.A.C.I”
    My takeaway from that meeting was on how to live a life free of substances and unhelpful behaviors.

• My need to get over boredom
    • Preview / Review (identifying plans and reviewing them) as to how did the day went
    • Unexpected stuff that occurred and how it was dealt
    • Don’t self criticize
    • Things to turn to and do when feeling the urge.

From then onwards I regularly attend meetings facilitated by Hatrick and even started attending various other SROL meetings.

As I progressed attending Hatrick’s meetings, the discussions covered all the 4-points of SMART. I had learned how to work the tools and we discussed my H.O.V and even did a C.B.A. amongst all the meeting discussions for the past year.

I am forever grateful to Hatrick for the wisdom, guidance and encouragement together with fellow participants at this meeting whom are witness to my entire journey with SMART Recovery to-date.

It is now DAY#403 (57weeks 4days) of me being totally abstinent from my DOC.

I would like to share my biggest takeaway from all of Hatrick’s meetings that I have attended since.

HATRICK’S BELIEF”

Life is all about choices and we are the sum total of all of the choices that we have made. For those of us, like me who have wrestled with issues of addiction, we have in the past made some choices that were sub-optimal. But today is a new day and right now is a new moment and a new chance to make a different and hopefully better choice.
    That’s why in SMART Recovery we say Discover the Power of Choice “, because the choice really is up to you and the power to change your life is actually in your own hands. We are the masters of our own addiction, and moving forward, we can truly become the masters of our own recovery!

- Hatrick.
    Last edited by C_C; October 29, 2021 at 4:37 AM. Reason: Grammar
    I used to have an addictive behavior,
    but I choose not to act that way anymore”

Congratulations CC! I'm inspired by your story and glad to have been able to accompany you on some of that journey.

Gordon1 is offline SMART MB Co-Liaison
    SMART Online Moderator
    SMART Online Facilitator
    Former SMART Face to Face Facilitator
    Former SMART Online Meeting Liaison

Well done C_C great efforts

Well done to Hatrick for their efforts and sensational progress on your implementing what you have been given.
    What got me sober was trying to get sober. Often when I lapsed, picked up, drank, I FELT thoroughly beaten. I thought at that time "there is no hope for me" Yet, when I had recovered from that thought just a little, I thought "I'll have another go!" It was a few little sparks, rather than a flame, that got me here!

Hey just wanted to say you made my day.
    this post is the reason I’ll be doing my Smart Recovery meeting today.

That’s great to hear SoberCor.
    I hope you have a good meeting, “Keep on keepin On”

Caroline14 is offline SMART MB Co-Liaison
    SMART Online Moderator
    SMART Online Meeting Helper
    SMART Message Board Volunteer

Hi C_C - I've just got round to reading this. I've seen you in a few general meetings, and how inspiring to learn more of your journey into abstinence. Loved the quote you gave from Hatrick too. Thank you so much for posting this

Thank you Caroline14, likewise I too noticed we have attend the same meetings. Hope to cya gain soon.
    Hatrick’s meetings is where I was first introduced to SMART. His weekly local meeting on Thursday and the SROL meeting on Mondays are one my moorings lines in my recovery.

The “Power of Choice!” which gives me self empowerment is further strengthened by reading his personal conviction in his recovery with “Hatrick’s Belief”

From my 1st meeting there, over the last 17months I found many other SROL meetings and attend them regularly when I can. My only handicap is with attending these meetings is the time zone difference of being 13hours ahead of ET.
    However this has its many advantages and also disadvantages. I choose to belief that I cannot have the icing on the cake and eat it too.

With SMART, now I have now earned 514days / 73weeks 3days/ 16months 27days/ 1yr 4mth 27days of completely being abstinent from my doc this morning. “Wow!”

Caroline14 is offline SMART MB Co-Liaison
    SMART Online Moderator
    SMART Online Meeting Helper
    SMART Message Board Volunteer

Wow indeed! That's how I feel about my abstinence too.... We have much to be grateful for.

Welcome to the post 1-year sober train and 2-year mark is fast approaching too. You'd changed so much, and I wouldn't have recognized you today if I haven't known you then.

Sobriety has made a real difference for me so far Ling.
    I am grateful and appreciate all the support I continuously received from everyone.
    “Keep on keeping on!”

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon1 View Post
    Well done C_C great efforts

Well done to Hatrick for their efforts and sensational progress on your implementing what you have been given.
    Well done to you too Gordon1 for your efforts and encouragement to Hatrick in his journey with SMART............
    I have come to learn that you have been instrumental in Hatrick’s decision to start facilitating his own meetings where I and many other’s have benefited from. Kudos to you and Hatrick

Hello, I'm glad you are here wit us and you've had such a positive experience. I can totally relate to those few things you learned in your first meeting:

• My need to get over boredom
    • Preview / Review (identifying plans and reviewing them) as to how did the day went
    • Unexpected stuff that occurred and how it was dealt
    • Don’t self criticize
    • Things to turn to and do when feeling the urge

It feels as if you were talking to me!
    Thank you!

I wis you the best of success!

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!