Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default 16 Years Clean and Sober today - Woo hoo!

My dear Smarties

Today I woke up feeling so full of gratitude for all of you who have helped me to stay clean and sober all these years. I really couldn't have done it without you. And for those of you who are at the beginning of your journey with all this, I've come to realize that what I'm doing today is the same as what I did my first day of sobriety. I'm not using or drinking. And the only difference now is that I've consistently practiced a lot of the life saving Smart tools over the years and I have a very solid meditation program in place. So it's much easier now to deal with the occasional urge that rears up its head and says, "You can have one drink. Just one drink." My answer, "No, thank you."

Thank you all for celebrating this day with me.

q7
    "The central human drama is not wanting the experience we are having"

WOOHOO is right. That's an amazing accomplishment, my friend.

LOVE & HUGS, James
    I can't always make it better but I don't have to make it any worse.

Thank you so much James. You are a wonderful friend and have helped me in many ways.

q7

What an amazing job! I wish everyone will have the same success as you.

Congrats!! How inspiring!

Sam29 is offline Distance Training Team
    Former SMART Online Facilitator

Just noticed your post, q7. You and I go a long way on this one and I am definitely on board with you. Without SMART and all the support and motivation to DO SOMETHING, who knows where we would be today. Nice job.

Love to you always,
    Sam

Thanks BuzzZine and Booktrovert. And yes, I wish for everyone to have success as well. I don't wish my particular journey on everyone as it has been a hard climb up a steep mountain for me, not so much to stay sober, but more about putting one foot in from of the other with some equanimity and peace of mind. Having said that, I am very grateful for many of life's tests that have helped me to grow into the person I am today.

Dear dear Sam...yes, we do go a long way back together. You're right, who knows where we would be today without SMART and all the other people that have supported us on our journey! Love and hugs to you too.

Gordon1 is offline SMART MB Liaison
    SMART Online Moderator
    SMART Online Facilitator
    Former SMART Face to Face Facilitator
    Former SMART Online Meeting Liaison

Well done Questor7 on a wonderful gift to yourself, your family and friends, and the SMART Community.

Your light shines on and warms this place.

Well done you
    What got me sober was trying to get sober. Often when I lapsed, picked up, drank, I FELT thoroughly beaten. I thought at that time "there is no hope for me" Yet, when I had recovered from that thought just a little, I thought "I'll have another go!" It was a few little sparks, rather than a flame, that got me here!

Congrats! What an amazing accomplishment.

Gordon - It's always so nice to hear from you. Thank you for your support.

And gettinghelpnow = Thanks for the congrats. I couldn't have done it without all the people here and the wonderful friendships that I have.

I'm late to this but congrats - as someone relatively new on this journey, hearing these success stories just feels really inspiring and powerful.

Thank you jasminerose for your kind words. It's been a long and sometimes very challenging road to travel and with so much support, like yours, along the way. As I've said before, I couldn't do it alone.

Best to you

q7

I'm kind of late but, congratulations! That is an amazing achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckymros View Post
    I'm kind of late but, congratulations! That is an amazing achievement.
    Thank you so much Luckymros. I appreciate your support.

Best to you

q7

Default Iím brand new

Hello! Iím brand new tonight to the SMART world. I figure someone that has 16 years has a lot of advice to give.

QUOTE=Questor7;1390196]My dear Smarties

Today I woke up feeling so full of gratitude for all of you who have helped me to stay clean and sober all these years. I really couldn't have done it without you. And for those of you who are at the beginning of your journey with all this, I've come to realize that what I'm doing today is the same as what I did my first day of sobriety. I'm not using or drinking. And the only difference now is that I've consistently practiced a lot of the life saving Smart tools over the years and I have a very solid meditation program in place. So it's much easier now to deal with the occasional urge that rears up its head and says, "You can have one drink. Just one drink." My answer, "No, thank you."

Thank you all for celebrating this day with me.

q7[/QUOTE]

Gordon1 is offline SMART MB Liaison
    SMART Online Moderator
    SMART Online Facilitator
    Former SMART Face to Face Facilitator
    Former SMART Online Meeting Liaison

Hi Mommyto2 and welcome

Rather than get advice, SMART suggests that I work out what works for me by using a resource here.

I really love the meetings here, the check-in threads, 24/7 chat, the Handbook, the RESOURCES tab above - the meetings probably helped me the most early on.

More Power of Choice to you
    What got me sober was trying to get sober. Often when I lapsed, picked up, drank, I FELT thoroughly beaten. I thought at that time "there is no hope for me" Yet, when I had recovered from that thought just a little, I thought "I'll have another go!" It was a few little sparks, rather than a flame, that got me here!

Caroline14 is online now SMART Online Moderator
    SMART Message Board Volunteer

I've only just caught up with this too. Bravo, bravo Questor for that wonderful milestone!

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!