Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default 6 years, 10 months and 11 days, or thereabouts

its 7:00 am already and not even light outside. The long nights were conducive to drinking for me. By the end of Feb, 2013, I could tell I was in too deep and had to get out. Again. But that time I decided I would stay out. It was the year I would turn 50 and that milestone was weighing, looming. Would it change me? the real questions was, would I change me?
    The answer is yes. I remember at my one month day feeling so accomplished, but also apprehensive, as to whether or not I would stick to my committment to myself. Myself, because I had not told anyone else. Except that's not true. I was on FB at the time, and after a month I felt confident enough to post a meme of a guy drinking with the red bar/circle buster emblem over it.
    Alcohol is not part of my life at all anymore. Today is not my anniversary of quitting but it is the anniversary of when I was digging myself further and further in, The long winter days inside alone. Waiting for dawn. Not really caring.
    There is a way out; I made the choice.
    Here comes the sunlight now. It's going to be another awesome day to be really alive again.

Moderator JvB is offline SMART Super Moderator
    SMART Online Leadership Team
    Former SMART SROL Exec Director
    Former SMART Online Facilitator

Great work Dave. Keep it up.
    "Take an optimistic rather than pessimistic view on yourself and your future - as long as you do not take to unrealistic extremes." Albert Ellis

Congrats Dave!

I read your post several times, Dave. And each time I felt such joy when you said, "The long winter days inside alone. Waiting for dawn. Not really caring.
    There is a way out; I made the choice."

You did make the choice and isn't it wonderful?

I feel so happy that you are enjoying the sunlight.

Best to you

questor7
    "The central human drama is not wanting the experience we are having"

Gordon1 is online now SMART Online Facilitator
    Former SMART Face to Face Facilitator
    Former SMART Online Meeting Liaison

Well written and well done Dave!
    What got me sober was trying to get sober. Often when I lapsed, picked up, drank, I FELT thoroughly beaten. I thought at that time "there is no hope for me" Yet, when I had recovered from that thought just a little, I thought "I'll have another go!" It was a few little sparks, rather than a flame, that got me here!

It's going to be another awesome day to be really alive again.

^^ I’m glad you are, and me too!

Thank you for sharing this. You inspire me and give me hope when it is much needed.

Tuts is very encouraging to read because I can relate. I have determined that I will NEVER stop trying. But...I’m still trying.
    I can become very discouraged. I come from a family full of heavy drinkers and when I fail, which is most of the time, I can start thinking, “Well that’s just who I am because that is what I come from.” But I refuse to believe that. I don’t have to be like them. Sometimes it is hard to believe though. I’m just going to keep trying. ��*♀️��

Gordon1 is online now SMART Online Facilitator
    Former SMART Face to Face Facilitator
    Former SMART Online Meeting Liaison

Gee Cherrycoke!

I feel your increasing awareness!

"when I fail, which is most of the time"

Geez! I am in awe of you for TRYING in an environment that doesn't lend itself to it.

When YOU FAIL you fail mightily.

I am humbled by your effort.

"Rather than victory, I look for courage.
    For when I go on in a struggle, I bring honor to myself.
    Even more, I bring honor to us all."

I REALLY believe and get power from that.

As you falter, you and I grow.
    What got me sober was trying to get sober. Often when I lapsed, picked up, drank, I FELT thoroughly beaten. I thought at that time "there is no hope for me" Yet, when I had recovered from that thought just a little, I thought "I'll have another go!" It was a few little sparks, rather than a flame, that got me here!

Thanks Dave for sharing. today is my first day on SMART and day 3 sober and I'm turning 49 next week. I have committed to making this my best year ever before the big 5-0! I am so glad I found this. Your stories are encouraging.

Cheerycoke,
    I'm glad to hear about your determination to rise above your surroundings. I cannot think of any Big Occasions that did not involve beer when I was growing up. Not always to excess, but the point that fun=drink and vice versa became ingrained, and only by stopping did I realize that.
    I know you'll keep trying, right?
    I look forward to seeing you around SMART.

Rogonzo. Welcome!
    It's silly how one birthday means more than any other, isn't it? Or even one day more than others. But it's true. MAybe it's a good thing if it motivates people like you and I to make a change more emphatically.
    I am humbled and happy that you read my post, and more so if it resonated. To me, that was the best part of SMART at first--hearing fragments of my own journey and efforts come from others whom I knew not at all.
    Now I am starting to "know" some people here, as much as one can online. It's a good place.

Thank you for sharing. I am brand new to this and need to hear some success stories.

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!