Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default SEVEN and not counting

First, thank you Smart Recovery.org, I am a proud donor to this organization and I crossed the seven year mark, no celebration, no notation, no acknowledgment with family and friends. And that's the way I wanted it. Original goal was to be free of it without thought or discussion. No weekly meetings, nothing. It's personal. So marking the exact day is not something I want. Especially as I suddenly went cold turkey and into a week of hard shakes starting Christmas day in 2012. I am here to testify that you can quit all at once (but in hindsight I should have been hospitalized). No relapses for me. The only issue I have is that after 18 years free of tobacco I fell back into smoking this year, all it took was one premium cigar in February. The interesting thing is this; having fallen back to nicotine addiction so heavily I was forced to admit to myself that I have addiction issues. And that one beer would be the same as that one cigar, not that I considered it. In the past seven years I don't think I ever fully admitted that I am an alcoholic and dam that is hard to type. I had been joking that since I drank hard for 30 years before quitting that I would stop drinking for 30 years and then decide which was better at age 74. Now I realize, now I admit, that I abused painkillers, dope, and alcohol with the same addictive abusive behavior that let me back into smoking. As bad as smoking can be it is far from the damaging effect of a liter a day of vodka. I still think on that, could down a bottle of vodka like water and be scampering for more. Lol, I laugh at people all crazy about white claw (made from vodka) as it was more efficient to drink vodka straight. I do love that I have my happiness back being sober. I do love being free from the alcohol dependence. I am sad to watch others struggle through the holidays as their clear addiction is obvious. So this is to you, that person looking for help, it can be done, people here know what your going through. You can free yourself. But don't kid yourself like I did. If you're reading this then you need face a mirror and admit your faults. Research, learn, plan and fix it.
    QC

My goal, like yours, was to get about the business of living. Congrats on regaining your life.
    “Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in her”

I like your philosophy, QCguy....research, learn, plan and fix it. Good for you and thank you for sharing some of your journey with us. I think it helps other people to learn about all the different ways that people go about staying sober.

Best to you

q7
    "The central human drama is not wanting the experience we are having"

Gordon1 is offline SMART Online Facilitator
    Former SMART Face to Face Facilitator
    Former SMART Online Meeting Liaison

Congratulations on that 7 years of a life differently lived!

Well done on managing your humanness in a very helpful way!
    What got me sober was trying to get sober. Often when I lapsed, picked up, drank, I FELT thoroughly beaten. I thought at that time "there is no hope for me" Yet, when I had recovered from that thought just a little, I thought "I'll have another go!" It was a few little sparks, rather than a flame, that got me here!

That’s amazing , congrats for 7 yrs of continuous sobriety .
    Research , plan and fix it , yes I am doing just that . I love the clarity and confidence .
    The secret of change is to focus energy on building the new life . Socrates

Moderator JvB is offline SMART Super Moderator
    SMART Online Leadership Team
    Former SMART SROL Exec Director
    Former SMART Online Facilitator

Great job QCguy!

Congratulations2.jpg
    "Take an optimistic rather than pessimistic view on yourself and your future - as long as you do not take to unrealistic extremes." Albert Ellis

I appreciate you for sharing this. All the success stories are different and I appreciate everyone who shares them. You have no idea how far a little hope can go and that is what you have given me. Thank you.

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!