Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Smile 7+ Years. Thank you, SMART!

Thank you SMART with special thanks to Albert Ellis, Joe Gerstein and twoputts. It's very likely I'd be dead without you.

My anniversary date came and went without me even remembering it! I saw someone mention success stories and that reminded me. I just pasted my old post from my 5 year anniversary below.

I'll add my name to the list of success stories as a way to thank SMART again for their life saving help.

When I found this site, I was scared that I was going to get my hopes up only to find this was just another mirage. I had tried to quit alcohol for many years and I typically only lasted a day or two or maybe a couple months.

Long story short, using the tools here worked not only to allow me to walk away from alcohol, but to quit other unhealthy habits and to improve my inner life and my life in general.

I look back and can remember how I thought and felt for the first several decades of my life, but I couldn't think that way now if I tried. Through using the SMART tools, I've "red pilled" myself and there's no going back even if I wanted to.

I never imagined how much I could transform my life. I didn't even call it a life back then. I called it an existence.

I hope anyone reading this and contemplating trying SMART joins and uses the tools to gain the same success.

- Over 7 years alcohol free. I've had it tested under very painful difficult life events and I automatically turn to the tools, rather than alcohol, to get relief.
    - I've used the same tools to make big decisions that lead to a happier life.
    - I enjoy life and feel much more secure that I can handle whatever comes my way now.
    - I've used the same SMART tools to get physically healthy and quit other destructive habits.

I used the tools to accomplish all that. Tools do nothing by themselves. Knowing what a wrench is and how to use it is important, but the bolt will sit there, unmoved, until you pick up the wrench and put it on the bolt and turn.

I did the work, but I'd have never known how to do it without SMART.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I only used the online community of SMART to do all this. So doing it all online can work.

Bravo Kale!!!

Congrats, kale! I always love reading your insights. You are a perfect example of how effective SROL is when the tools are applied. Thank you for sharing your story.

Awesome Kale!!! We are very similar. I only post AND really really use the tools. And the cool thing is there isn't really even that many. And they aren't difficult to understand. And you don't have to be "successful" to be making tremendous progress. In fact using the tools after my few slips have been the times the tools became more ingrained in me as simply the way I think. It gets better and better!!!
    Even when you fall flat on your face you're still going forward.

I thought there was 24/7 chat rooms

chrischris,

There usually is a 24/7 chat room but they've had to close it until further notice due to serious problems with some people's behavior in there. They're trying to come up with a solution.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, maureen, mh, avalou

Good on you kale. I always get something helpful out of your postings. Glad you are a SROL member.

Gordon1 is offline SMART Online Facilitator
    Former SMART Face to Face Facilitator
    Former SMART Online Meeting Liaison

Exceptional life well led on your part Kale.

TwoPutts would be chuffed with your progress and Power of Choice!

Go you!
    What got me sober was trying to get sober. Often when I lapsed, picked up, drank, I FELT thoroughly beaten. I thought at that time "there is no hope for me" Yet, when I had recovered from that thought just a little, I thought "I'll have another go!" It was a few little sparks, rather than a flame, that got me here!

Congratulations Kale. I'm happy you found yourself and have a life that has exceeded your expectations. You're an inspiration.
    ~~ Choice. What a concept. ~~

'Tools do nothing by themselves. Knowing what a wrench is and how to use it is important, but the bolt will sit there, unmoved, until you pick up the wrench and put it on the bolt and turn.'

Well said! ...And a lesson it took me 30 years and a library full of wonderful self-help and behavior change material to learn.

Congrats on 7 years! I am very glad you are a Smartie!

Have a great day or at least a crappy sober one!
    “Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in her”

Congrats to you Kale. It was posts like yours that got me to where I am today.
    I read them all over and over and when I began to doubt myself I read them again.
    You are an inspiration for anyone who is thinking Can I do this?
    Peg

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!