Thread: My story

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default My story

Imagine a bird's eye view of a man lying in a fetal position in what could be mistaken for a landfill. His eyes and skin have taken on a yellowish color from jaundice. He no longer has control over his bowels. He is puking a greenish bile whilst his friends try to get alcohol forced down him before he has any more seizures... this man was me. That was around six years ago but I was rescued from that ditch and SMART has helped me stay sober with no relapses so yeah it works!!!

I forgot to mention the fact that I hadn't eaten in a week because I was shaking too badly to hold a spoon or a fork...Bad stuff

Thanks for sharing this story, GG. Although mine is different, there are elements that are similar, and hearing others' stories helps me feel less alone and broken.

Quote Originally Posted by BeffyBoo View Post
    Thanks for sharing this story, GG. Although mine is different, there are elements that are similar, and hearing others' stories helps me feel less alone and broken.
    Yeah I had to be brought off the alcohol chemically and the doctor said that because the brain has "muscle memory" I would be dead within 1-2 weeks if I ever drank again. That's an excellent motivator I assure you!!!

Gordon1 is offline SMART Online Facilitator
    Former SMART Face to Face Facilitator
    Former SMART Online Meeting Liaison

That is just WONDERFUL!

Congratulations and GO YOU GaryGregg
    What got me sober was trying to get sober. Often when I lapsed, picked up, drank, I FELT thoroughly beaten. I thought at that time "there is no hope for me" Yet, when I had recovered from that thought just a little, I thought "I'll have another go!" It was a few little sparks, rather than a flame, that got me here!

Wow - congratulations GaryGregg. You are an inspiration.
    ďA year from now you may wish you had started today." -Karen Lamb

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!