Thread: My Story

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default My Story

Tomorrow is 11 Months since my last drink. 15 December is my sobriety date since I celebrate knowing that day when I took my last drink that day, it was going to be the last I was going to have. I had 2 beers total that day knowing that was it. I hit a personal rock bottom last year, my marriage ended in divorce, I fell down a flight of stairs in a black out and tore my rotator cuff in my right shoulder. I have 1 DUI on my record and tons of other bad experiences due to alcohol, all by the age of 32. This is what I have learned in 11 Months sober:

1.) Alcohol and drugs is a symptom of greater issues. My main issue is depression and anxiety. I drank for that instant gratification and high alcohol gave me but it always back fired. My depression and anxiety the next day was unbearable at times. I can now face my depression in a healthier way.

2.) My demons know how to swim. Drinking away my pain, stress and sorrows only made my demons swim to the top. Getting sober I faced my inner most issues. And you know what? I am still ok!

3.) Dealing with life sober is actually way easier than drunk everyday. I have a clear mind, even on my worst days, since I don't have alcohol 24/7 pumping through my bloodstream. Facing reality and day to day struggles is still tough for me, but you know what? I am sober, healthy and safe.

4.) I love me. I have made some terrible mistakes in my past, one in particular I will always regret ( hurting my now ex husband so bad) but it all made me who I am today. The old me had terrible coping skills and did not know better. I live every day today being a better person than I was yesterday.

5.) You own your recovery. Whatever path you take, as long as your recovery is your #1, own it. One day at a time. Whether it is AA or whatever, you will find what works for you the best in keeping you sober and growing as an individual.

6.) I lost "friends". Bar buddies. As I grew, I had to change people, places and things. I stopped comparing myself to others "well, everyone drinks". No not everyone drinks and some people can go out and drink and be responsible. You know what? I can not. I lost the privilege a long time ago to drink like a normal drinker. I have an addiction to alcohol and bad things happen when I drink and I lose all control. I now love my iced coffee, sparkling waters and iced tea.

7.) In the last 3 years of my drinking, I could not make it 24 hours sober. My instant sobriety was truly a miracle, God, and now aiming for 1 year mark.

Congrats on 11 months! You sound as if you have grown a great deal in recovery. Love your list of what you have learned. Awesome work!

Well done and an amazing post on what you have learned. Thanks for sharing!

Congratulations idavidi!
    Thanks for sharing what you have learned!

Very inspiring post.Congrats + thank you.

I wish i was that strong congrats

You are inspiring me today -- which is exactly what I need. Thank you!

Thanks for sharing...

Gordon1 is offline Former Online Facilitator
    Former Face to Face Facilitator
    Former Online Meeting Liaison

That was an inspiring post - thankyou for sharing it.
    What got me sober was trying to get sober. Every time I lapsed, picked up, drank, I was thoroughly beaten. I thought at those times "there is no hope for me" Yet, when I had recovered from those thoughts just a little, I thought "have another go!" It was a lot of little sparks, rather than a flame, that got me here.

I liked to hear your story and stories like that inspire me to keep from not using. Keep it going. Congrats to you

Your authentic story is truly beautiful. I particularly like ;
    4.) I love me. I have made some terrible mistakes in my past, one in particular I will always regret ( hurting my now ex husband so bad) but it all made me who I am today. The old me had terrible coping skills and did not know better. I live every day today being a better person than I was yesterday.

many times I have not 'loved me', I've felt like a fraud, like a wannabe...in my short sobriety I'm starting to feel legit, and worthy. 1 month ago I was rudderless and unfocussed, today I feel more empowered than ever.
    I spent my evening with a 22 month-sober friend who I've known for 30 years. Mike has offered to support me and be my lifeline in this battle against drinking. I've learned so much in such a short few days, So many experiences that he has had in his recovery that he has graciously shared with me, I can make it as you have iDavidi, and I thank you sincerely for your insightful list which really hit home to me.

Excellent post!

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!