Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default Coming back after relapse

I recently relapsed. I didn't go back to daily drinking, but I'd get a pint bottle about once a week. My wife, who has been a godsend throughout my 6 years of on again-off again recovery, would then find the bottle and it would be the same unpleasant discussion.

A couple things happened this week, the worst of which was that I fell while drunk and injured my hands; the best of which was that I really, fully opened up to my wife and began actively including her in my process. We've talked so much the past few days. She's had hundreds of questions, but I've answered them honestly.

With the injury, I had a realization: Alcohol or no alcohol, there will be problems in life. Using, however, is just inviting MORE problems.

My motivation has never been higher. My wife found a quote that I think is fantastic. You can't be interested in recovery. For it to work you have to be committed to it. I realize now I was merely interested. I know it's fresh and that the shine will fade, but I've started doing lots of work with the SMART handbook, this group, Headspace meditation exercises and other outlets, trying to build good habits while it's still fresh and strong.

I am new to this group. Checked out the Headspace meditation, thanks.

I think this great realization of yours can be applied to any addictive issues. "Using or no using, there will be problems in life. Using, however, is just inviting MORE problems." Really insightful, RD.

Thanks for your post. It inspired me, especially the quote. Great first thing to read this morning. Congrats on your insights.

I am also new to this group. Currently dealing with a relapse myself. Love the quote. Speaks volumes.

Great attitude RDMurphy! I relapsed many times prior to finding SMART Recovery. I beat myself up about it a lot. Once I found SMART Recovery, it "clicked" with me - and as you mentioned, I became committed to my recovery. While I can't say I won't relapse in the future, if I continue to reach for the tools SMART provides (rather than a bottle), I will continue along the road that I have been on for 19 months. Don't beat yourself up too much about a relapse, we've all been there - it's how you respond to the relapse. It seems as though you are viewing it as an opportunity to learn (which it is), and you are committing to recovery. That's all anyone can ask!
    Is this old airplane safe to fly? How in the world do you think it got to be this old?

I found this article suggested by another member of Smart to really address a lot of the issues surrounding lapses/relapses. Maybe you will find it helpful as well. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/a...he-new-quitter

Sending out my support and best wishes--Crash
    "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." --Albert Einstein

Awesome article, Crash23. Thanks for recommending!

Thanks for the quote, RD. VERY true, IMHO.

Thank you very much for posting the article. I just finished reading it. I identified with every paragraph. You made a difference for me, and I appreciate it greatly.

Thank you for sharing, RDMurphy, it's inspiring to hear your realization about using or not using AND the fact that you have a wife that is working with you to get through this. It can be so hard to get through this process without the honesty and support of the people you are closest with.
    And thanks crash23 for the article. So happy I read this thread tonight!

How motivational! Reading this, I realize that I have only been interested in recovery. Only now am I committed. I've realized the sickness in the chaos in my life, and I want change.

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!