Thread: 34 Years

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default 34 Years

Today marks 34 years of living alcohol & drug-free.

My main challenges these days are unconditionally accepting my self, others, and life in general.

My health has declined dramatically over the last 3 years. None of these health issues will kill me. But, I can no longer do most of the things that I loved to do. So, I've been practicing my ABCs and challenging my awfuls.

Recently, I started an online course in Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction. From what I've read, it will likely be helpful.

JvB

(For a more detailed version of my story: (https://www.smartrecovery.org/commun...33-Years-Today!)
    "No, our wills are not completely free, nor are we completely governed by our heredity and environment. We seem to be born and reared with some degree of choice, agency, or self-control but have to work at accepting its limitations and push ourselves to use it adequately."
    Albert Ellis, Ph.D.

Hi Jonathan, I followed the link and read your full story. I found it incredibly inspiring!

Like you, I got sober with AA about 35 years ago, and like you I have had experiences that are good and experiences that are bad. ALL of them were better sober. It sounds like you are going through some difficult issues at the moment - and for me it is always good to read of these things. I like to see how people cope with the tough things in life whilst keeping their abstinence and trying to practise constructive attitudes and behaviours - in spite of the challenges that life can throw at us. I have challenges in my life - and how people cope with these is always what I want to learn about.

I wish you all the best for the course that you are doing, and it would be great to hear how you get on.

​congrats jvb!!!!!
    MAYBE MY 2 CENTS MAY BE WORTH A $ MIILION DOLLARS TO SOMEONE ELSE!!!!

Congrats, JvB!
    “My strength lies solely in my tenacity.” - Louis Pasteur

Awesome. Thank you for the work you do here at SROL.

HeidiM is offline SMART Online Facilitator
    SMART MB Volunteer
    SMART Chat Volunteer

Congrats! Thank you for all that you do for SMART and to support so many of us!
    "I dwell in possibility" Emily Dickinson

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!