Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Cool 5+ years - Thank you SMART

I'll add my name to the list of success stories as a way to thank SMART again for their life saving help.

When I found this site, I was scared that I was going to get my hopes up only to find this was just another mirage. I had tried to quit alcohol for many years and I typically only lasted a day or two or maybe a couple months.

Long story short, using the tools here worked not only to allow me to walk away from alcohol, but to quit other unhealthy habits and to improve my inner life and my life in general.

I look back and can remember how I thought and felt for the first several decades of my life, but I couldn't think that way now if I tried. I've "red pilled" myself and there's no going back even if I wanted to.

I never imagined how much I could transform my life. I didn't even call it a life back then. I called it an existence.

I hope anyone reading this and contemplating trying SMART joins and uses the tools to gain the same success.

- Over 5 years alcohol free. I've had it tested under very painful difficult life events and I automatically turn to the tools, rather than alcohol, to get relief.
    - I've used the same tools to make big decisions that lead to a happier life.
    - I enjoy life and feel much more secure that I can handle whatever comes my way now.
    - I've used the same SMART tools to get physically healthy and quit other destructive habits.

I used the tools to accomplish all that. Tools do nothing by themselves. Knowing what a wrench is and how to use it is important, but the bolt will sit there, unmoved, until you pick up the wrench and put it on the bolt and turn.

I did the work, but I'd have never known how to do it without SMART.

Thank you, SMART. Special thanks to Albert Ellis, Joe Gerstein, and twoputts.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I only used the online community of SMART to do all this. So doing it online can work out just as well.
    Last edited by kale; December 16, 2017 at 8:41 PM. Reason: To add that I only used online SMART services.

Kale!

So awesome and congrats!

LMR555 is offline SMART MB Co-Liaison
    Former SMART Online Facilitator
    SMART Message Board Volunteer
    SMART Online Leadership Team

Kale,

Congratulations for all of your successes! I know you have put in the work and made the good choices.

Thank you so much for sharing your success.

LMR555
    "Discover the Power of Choice!"

“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” – Chinese Proverb

Join the team as a SMART Message Board Volunteer!! It can encourage growth and joy. Or support with a donation http://bit.ly/passthehat

Kale, I have always found your post helpful + inspirational. I really like that you practice REBT + are very familar with Albert Ellis"s work. Congratulations.

Hi Kale

So inspiring, what you have shared. Big congrats on all the hard work you have done. I really like what you said about tools not doing anything by themselves. So true. And yes, when you can automatically turn to the tools when times are tough, that is truly passing life's tests, isn't it?

Best to you.

questor7
    "The central human drama is not wanting the experience we are having"

JvB is offline Former SMART Online Facilitator
    SMART Online Leadership Team
    SMART MB Moderator

Kale
    "No, our wills are not completely free, nor are we completely governed by our heredity and environment. We seem to be born and reared with some degree of choice, agency, or self-control but have to work at accepting its limitations and push ourselves to use it adequately."
    Albert Ellis, Ph.D.

Kale! A big congrats to you,well done !
    Peg

Gordon1 is offline SMART Online Facilitator
    Former SMART Face to Face Facilitator
    Former SMART Online Meeting Liaison

Sensational efforts on your part Kale and congratulations on a life so very well lived

What got me sober was trying to get sober. Often when I lapsed, picked up, drank, I FELT thoroughly beaten. I thought at that time "there is no hope for me" Yet, when I had recovered from that thought just a little, I thought "I'll have another go!" It was a few little sparks, rather than a flame, that got me here!

Wow, thank you for sharing it can be done online...there's not much SMART resources locally where I live. Congratulations to you and thanks again for your insights.

Congrats, Kale!
    “Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in her”

Congrats, kale! Nice work!

Congrats Kale, well done.
    ~~ Choice. What a concept. ~~

nice thank you.

Oooops! Looks like it's now 6 years!

Cool 6+ years - Thank you SMART

I guess I'll change the title years as I go along... 6+

That’s a great plan,congrats to you Kale

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!