Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default 3 Years Sober Today

This is the longest I've been sober since I started drinking at 18. Not for lack of trying, I can assure you. I've been trying to get and stay sober since my 1st meeting in 1985.

Then I was directed to Smart Recovery in Dec. 2014. With the use of the Smart Tools, I've built "Life Skills" that allow me to function without the escape of alcohol. Situations that used to baffle me now are taken in stride.

It started with understanding what I truly value and how alcohol undermined them daily. Then I looked at the costs and benefits of my alcohol use, the short and long term effects and the choices involved. Finally, I looked at the Irrational Beliefs I hold and how to dispute them.

For those unfamiliar with Smart, that would be the HOV (Hierarchy of Values), the CBA (Cost benefit Analysis) and the ABC tool.

By using these same tools in my everyday life, I've found peace and contentment.

LOVE & HUGS, James
    I can't always make it better but I don't have to make it any worse.

James!! this is such a great post! You were one of the people who really inspired me to hang in there when I first joined August 27. Yesterday was day 100 for me. The longest I've ever gone since my last pregnancy with my now 19 year old! I love the tools as well. I do the CBA, the HOV (SO GREAT) and the ABC tool. Everything makes so much more sense now. I am way less reactive and a much better person, spouse, nurse, mom and daughter.
    Congratulations on three years!! WOOHOO!
    P

short and sweet, nice

Gordon1 is offline Former Online Facilitator
    Former Face to Face Facilitator
    Former Online Meeting Liaison

Fantastic James!
    Congratulations on your growth and development
    Great USE of tools

Way to go and congrats James. Maybe when I next visit Vancouver we can meet up at your face to face meeting.
    We neighbors stick together.
    By the way, you can always drop in to the Tuesday Introduction Meeting that I facilitate on line, it would be great to meet you.
    "By not caring too much about what people think, I'm able to think for myself ..."- Albert Ellis

Congratulations! I have been sober 2 1/2 years. Been going to smart face to face meetings same amount of time. Really helped my recovery.

James, you rock!!!
    "Don't believe everything you think."

Thank you for sharing, gives me hope for my son. We are just starting out here, family members going to the family friends meeting tonight

Congrats, James!
    “Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in her”

Congratulations on such a huge milestone

Sweet sweet action on the traction James!!! I'm trying to make some dreams of mine come true, and it really would never work unless I gave up spending money on liquor, and all the other crap too all the dang time. Keep it up and I think your gunna find more and more benefits come from all the work your putting in! your a badass!

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!