Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default My Journey to SERENITY!

Hello,
    My name is Michael and I have been involved in one form of recovery or another for the better part of 20yrs. My initial success came from working the 12 steps of AA. I haven't had to pick up a drink since Aug 12, 2010! I had a pretty condensed relapse after a surgery in 2014 which turned into a full blown near death heroin addiction. Once again I turned to the program and have been clean since March 21, 2016. I learned about SMART Recovery from a friend I had in treatment. I then took a new position in my career (I'm a building engineer). This new position caused me to not be able to attend my 2 home groups I had been a part of for years. To be honest, my recovery was becoming stagnant. Same stories, same people, judgemental of psychiatric issues that may also play a role in someone's alcoholism/addiction. It was a little over a year ago that I began to research SMART Recocery and I've been growing immensely ever since! I'm truly grateful for this group and I'm looking forward to gaining friendships and continuing to develop in my recovery!

Congatulations and much respect for the work you have done!

HughK is online now SMART Online Facilitator
    SMART Face to Face Facilitator
    SMART MB Volunteer
    SMART Online Facilitator's Co-Liaison

Great to hear about you working with and on yourself for 20 years!

Sensational!

Glad you have found SMART and the "Power of Choice" - Go You!!
    What got me sober was trying to get sober. Every time I lapsed, picked up, drank, I was thoroughly beaten. I thought at those times "there is no hope for me" Yet, when I had recovered from those thoughts just a little, I thought "have another go!" It was a lot of little sparks, rather than a flame, that got me here.

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!