Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!

Default First real test: passed!

I made the decision to quit drinking five short days ago. Throwing out all the liquor in the house wasn't hard. And, once that happened, it was pretty easy not to drink---there wasn't anything to drink, so no temptation.

Tonight was different. I lead an organization of ~100 people, and I have an advisory board. The board meets once per year, and our meeting is tomorrow. Those who got into town early enough today were invited to dinner at a very nice restaurant in town. My administrative assistant chose the wine, the menu, and got everything set up.

Important note: this restaurant is known for having a fantastic wine selection. Ordinarily, I'd get a nice pairing of wine with dinner, and have a couple of glasses along the way. (Who are we kidding? It would be three glasses minimum, but who's counting?)

But, not tonight. I had made a commitment to myself that I was going to be sober, so that's what I was going to be.

"Would you like a glass of wine before dinner?"
    "No thanks. I would like a glass of club soda with lime, though."

That felt really awkward. And, I'll admit, I really wanted a glass of wine. But, by the time the salad course was served, I didn't even notice that I didn't have a glass of wine in front of me. We had a wonderful conversation, I kept my wits about me, and enjoyed the evening.

I came home as proud of myself as I've been in a very long time. It's only a small step on the path, but it's a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by BeingPresent View Post
    I made the decision to quit drinking five short days ago. Throwing out all the liquor in the house wasn't hard. And, once that happened, it was pretty easy not to drink---there wasn't anything to drink, so no temptation.

Tonight was different. I lead an organization of ~100 people, and I have an advisory board. The board meets once per year, and our meeting is tomorrow. Those who got into town early enough today were invited to dinner at a very nice restaurant in town. My administrative assistant chose the wine, the menu, and got everything set up.

Important note: this restaurant is known for having a fantastic wine selection. Ordinarily, I'd get a nice pairing of wine with dinner, and have a couple of glasses along the way. (Who are we kidding? It would be three glasses minimum, but who's counting?)

But, not tonight. I had made a commitment to myself that I was going to be sober, so that's what I was going to be.

"Would you like a glass of wine before dinner?"
    "No thanks. I would like a glass of club soda with lime, though."

That felt really awkward. And, I'll admit, I really wanted a glass of wine. But, by the time the salad course was served, I didn't even notice that I didn't have a glass of wine in front of me. We had a wonderful conversation, I kept my wits about me, and enjoyed the evening.

I came home as proud of myself as I've been in a very long time. It's only a small step on the path, but it's a step in the right direction.
    That is great! I am on day three, and I am dreading a work dinner next Monday. This is my second time "on the wagon" and it is the social situations that were the toughest. And the work/social events have to happen! Kudos to you, soda water with lime is a great go to!

"That felt really awkward. And, I'll admit, I really wanted a glass of wine. But, by the time the salad course was served, I didn't even notice that I didn't have a glass of wine in front of me. We had a wonderful conversation, I kept my wits about me, and enjoyed the evening. "

Neat, huh?

Well done. File this away to be brought out when in doubt that you can do this.
    Wherever you go, there you are

Congratulations. This is my day 1 and I am trying to change my mindset to be positive and it is good to see I am not alone...good luck

WTG, well done!
    every single thing I do is a choice -

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon76 View Post
    it is the social situations that were the toughest. And the work/social events have to happen! Kudos to you, soda water with lime is a great go to!
    Today we had an evening reception with the advisory board and the key members of my organization. Wine, beer, sodas, heavy appetizers. I had a couple small bottles of lemon San Pellegrino. I kept waiting for someone to ask: "What, no wine for you today?"

It never happened. Not even once. I was making a much bigger deal out of it than anyone else seemed to be.

Congratulations! You should be really proud of yourself, you put yourself to the test and made it through! Sounds like you are using the tools very well. Great job!

really super!

That is awesome! although my drug of choice isn't alcohol, its heroin, I was put to the test too. I have 44 days clean today, about a week ago, while moving into my new apartment, I was unpacking and found a full bag of my DOC... as well as 3 of the tools I would use to do my drugs... Luckily I found the strength to flush it all down the toilet without thinking twice, its feels so good to do the right thing when no one else is looking!

tenor.gif

You are awesome as well, excellent!
    Wherever you go, there you are

Congrats on all who avoided their triggers! One high-end restaurant tip, if the table is set with empty wine glasses, you can turn yours upside down and a well-trained server will simply take it away without offering you wine and ask what you'd like.
    Loving life today!

Thank you for that tip! I will try it.

Share this SMART Recovery Success Story!