CheckUp & Choices is a confidential self-led online program that has been clinically proven to help SMART Recovery participants. The CheckUp & Choices website app works on internet-connected devices (computer, tablet, mobile) anywhere, anytime you need it.
The online program includes:
- The CheckUp: a comprehensive alcohol self-assessment with objective feedback that helps resolve ambivalence about changing your drinking. It now included CheckIns every three months to measure your progress.
- Choices programs: Structured and guided programs of cognitive behavioral and motivational exercises to help people achieve and maintain sobriety. Individual modules on alcohol, marijuana, opioids, stimulants, and gambling are included.
Subscribers get access to everything, 24/7. CheckUp & Choices will not label you or tell you what to do. You will be treated with respect and without judgment.
For questions or issues about your account, please reach out to CheckUp & Choices directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The CheckUp & Choices paid application is a third-party product.
Why Use CheckUp & Choices?
In multiple studies funded by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), individuals utilizing CheckUp & Choices demonstrated:
- A 55% decrease in drinking quantity, frequency, and intensity in non-dependent drinkers
- A 50% reduction in alcohol-related problems
- A 36% decrease in drinking days in dependent drinkers
There are two plans available:
What People Are Saying
|“I can’t say I was shocked with how bad my drinking had become, but seeing it in comparison to others — in charts and graphs and words — impacted me more than anything has so far.” – L.V.
“This was great. It helped me clearly see where I am and make a plan.” – K.R.
“Thank you. This helped me face things I was trying to hide so I can move forward and change.” – T.M.
|“This helped me tremendously my first few months of sobriety. Knowing there were others with my struggles who had the courage to succeed helped with my resolve. I’m a major introvert so online was perfect for me. C&C was a great resource I would highly recommend to anyone!” – D.K.
“Seeing the results in a scientific way makes it real.” – B.T.
“The CheckUp is certainly an eye-opener.” – P.K.
Additional Resources on CheckUp & Choices
SMART Recovery Blog Posts:
- Family & Friends CAN Help a Heavy Drinker
- Moving Away from the Terms ‘Alcoholic’ and ‘Alcoholism’
- 5 Reasons to Make CheckUp & Choices a Part of Your SMART Recovery Journey, By Dr. Reid Hester
- How an Online, Evidence-Based Recovery Tool Can Help You Stop Drinking
- SMART’s online partner CheckUp & Choices featured in Parents Magazine
- CheckUp & Choices’ Simple Digital Tools for Alcohol Recovery
- Webinar Audio: Addiction Recovery for 2017: New Science, New Strategies, with Reid Hester, Ph.D., creator of CheckUp & Choices
Confidentiality & Anonymity
The information you provide in CheckUp & Choices is treated with the same confidentiality as a medical record. It is not shared with anyone unless you choose to share it. You can also keep it completely anonymous by setting up an alternative email account just for this course.
Get started today with CheckUp & Choices.
Development of this course
Dr. Hester has published over 60 journal articles on the topic of substance misuse and digital interventions. His work has been included in the Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, the Journal of Medical Internet Research, and The Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment.
A leader in his field, Dr. Hester is one of the nation’s most sought-after substance misuse experts. His opinions, online resources, and research have been featured in The New York Times, NPR, The Wall Street Journal, Time,Vogue, and Men’s Health among others.
Dr. Hester received his masters and Ph.D. in clinical psychology from the University of Washington in 1979.