SMART Recovery - Self Management for Addiction Recovery
"Discover the Power of Choice!"
SMART Recovery is the leading self-empowering addiction recovery support group. Our participants learn tools for addiction recovery based on the latest scientific research and participate in a world-wide community which includes free, self-empowering, science-based mutual help groups.
The SMART Recovery 4-Point Program® helps people recover from all types of addiction and addictive behaviors, including: drug abuse, drug addiction, substance abuse, alcohol abuse, gambling addiction, cocaine addiction, prescription drug abuse, and problem addiction to other substances and activities. SMART Recovery sponsors face-to-face meetings around the world, and daily online meetings. In addition, our online message board and 24/7 chat room are excellent forums to learn about SMART Recovery and obtain addiction recovery support.
Start a SMART Recovery Meeting in Your Community
We provide you with:
- • Freely downloadable Meeting Facilitator Manuals
- • On-line training sessions for Meeting Facilitators
- • Regional Administrators are available to help
- • The Central Office staff is ready to help you.
Are you ready? Click below to get started...
Our 4-Point Program
The SMART Recovery 4-Point Program offers tools and techniques for each program point:1: Building and Maintaining Motivation
2: Coping with Urges
3: Managing Thoughts, Feelings and Behaviors
4: Living a Balanced Life
- • Teaches self-empowerment and self-reliance.
- • Provides meetings that are educational, supportive and include open discussions.
- • Encourages individuals to recover from addiction and alcohol abuse and live satisfying lives.
- • Teaches techniques for self-directed change.
- • Supports the scientifically informed use of psychological treatments and legally prescribed psychiatric and addiction medication.
- • Works on substance abuse, alcohol abuse, addiction and drug abuse as complex maladaptive behaviors with possible physiological factors.
- • Evolves as scientific knowledge in addiction recovery evolves.
- • Differs from Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous and other 12-step programs.
SMART Recovery is a recognized resource for substance abuse and addiction recovery by the American Academy of Family Physicians, the Center for Health Care Evaluation, The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), US Department of Health and Human Services, and the American Society of Addiction Medicine. You can get more information here!
Tom Horvath introduces you to SMART Recovery and the SMART Recovery 4-Point Program.
Stay Informed of Updates
Receive email notifications when newly released issues of News & Views are available online, along with other occasional updates, news, commentary and important events.
Get Your SMART Handbook
• Learn the 4-Point Program
• Explore the SMART Toolbox
• Learn about SMART Meetings
• Learn Practical Strategies
• NEW! Third Edition
Visit the SMART Recovery Bookstore Today!
Each year SMART Recovery conducts a survey among its participants. The results can be found here.